[SOLVED] Decision time

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Brian_278

Honorable
Aug 5, 2017
Okay the time has come to make a decision with regards to upgrading my system.

Currently I am running"
MSI Z270 Gaming M6 board
gigabyte 2080 super
C. Dominator 64 Gbs at 3000mhz
2 SSDs
2 970 Evos
cpu is Intel i7-7700K

I am considering either swapping the video card for a Gigabyte 3080 Xtreme OR swapping the board and cpu. I'm pretty sure the later will be more beneficial for performance it's just nice to get feedback. Plus if you would also go with the later, what combination would you suggest, I admit I am an MSI (board), Intel (cpu) fan so a combo of those two would be greatly appreciated, I am open to other boards but not other cpus.

My budget is 1,000 to 1,200 BEFORE taxes.

I do play a lot of WOW the most, and I have been told that it's very cpu driven, not sure if that is true or not.

And thanks.

Last edited:
Solution
Cpu is fps. Gpu is eye-candy. The 7700k is fine for WoW at any resolution, even a 21:9. Your issue is the gpu at that extended 1440p. It's @ 2.5x the amount of pixels as a standard 16:9 1080p, which is hard on a gpu, even a 2080Super. Which is why you downgrade to 7.

If fps from the cpu was the issue, changing detail levels wouldn't have much affect.

To run 3440x1440p and get high fps on screen, like the 140+ fps range, takes a 3080 to get Ultra in most games.

Where the 7700k might suffer is in raids. The sheer amount of Ai generated in 32man or better raids is staggering, my 3770k at 4.6GHz was down to 5-10fps in just a 24man boss fight. Single player was well above 90fps. Game capped.

TDP is meaningless. That's an intel bios...

Brian_278

Honorable
Aug 5, 2017
That is definitely the idea for sure, but as a new case is coming, be nice to have the cpu and motherboard in hand asap, then wait a few months or EIGHT until the 3080 xtremes come out :) Just want to make sure the wattage warning on the Partpicker combination isn't anything to worry about, and yes, if the difference isn't that big I would prefer to i7 to save a few bucks.

Brian_278

Honorable
Aug 5, 2017
I just purchased the Corsair iCue H150i Elite Capellex is that good enough?? and do you think that the i7 will "burn" as hot as the i9 will?? like, is it just a question of price and slight performance difference?

I just purchased the Corsair iCue H150i Elite Capellex is that good enough?? and do you think that the i7 will "burn" as hot as the i9 will?? like, is it just a question of price and slight performance difference?
Yes that is a good cooler. The i7 should run a bit cooler than the i9 at full load as it is 8 cores vs 10 cores. I don't think there will be much performance difference in games as games don't use so many cores.

Reactions: RodroX

Brian_278

Honorable
Aug 5, 2017
Well, finished swapping everything over last night (as I prefer the white cases better, moved everything to a snow edition TT 71 including the upgraded i7-10770c and Tomahawk board) so far so good, she fired right up, thank goodness.
After testing a few games, definitely a improvement. Most important for me was WOW and I can now run at ultra, however!! there is the odd hurky jerky movement, not enough to bug that much, but I absolutely agree with Karadigne that once the 3080 xtreme's are a lot more available I am definitely grabbing one.
Thanks again for all the input guys, definitely appreciate all the help.

Reactions: RodroX and Flayed

TRENDING THREADS