Decision Time!

ImageOfChaos

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2013
I'm ready to pull the trigger on a new thin and light 15" laptop with some gaming chops and have narrowed down to 2 specific choices.
I know waiting for the newer RTX 30 series laptops to become more available would be smarter, but I am need of a laptop now as I sold my previous desktop and am having to do everything on a low powered 13" laptop which isn't cutting it.
Additionally, I have a $500 store credit at Microcenter, so I am only looking to purchase from there to maximize my bang for the out of pocket buck.

Here are the choices with specs:

MSI GS 66 Stealth - $1799.99
  • Intel Core i7-107050H Processor 2.6GHz
  • NVIDIA GeForce RTX2070 Super Max-Q 8GB GDDR6
  • 32GB DDR4-2666 RAM
  • 1TB Solid State Drive
  • Microsoft Windows 10 Home
  • Killer LAN E3100
  • Intel Wi-Fi 6 AX201 (2*2ax)
  • Bluetooth 5.0
  • 15.6" Full HD Anti-Glare Wide View Angle 240Hz 3ms Display
Or

The ASUS Rog Zephyrus S15 GX502 - $1999.99
  • Intel Core i7-10875H Processor 2.3GHz
  • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER with ROG Boost 8GB GDDR6
  • 16GB DDR4-3200 RAM
  • 1TB Solid State Drive
  • Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
  • 10/100/1000 Network
  • Intel Wi-Fi 6 with Gig+ performance (802.11ax)
  • Bluetooth 5.1
  • 15.6" Full HD IPS Anti-Glare 300Hz 3ms Display
From a performance perspective the ASUS seems to have the edge with a better processor, the max p 2070 super (instead of the max q), and faster ram (though it's only 16gb instead of 32gb on the MSI). The ASUS also looks to have a slightly better screen at 300hz vs 244 hz, though I'm not sure if I will even be able to detect a difference. The ASUS does not have a webcam which is an annoyance, but not a deal break as I already have a good external webcam. The ASUS also weighs almost a half pound less despite the beefier specs which is a nice bonus and I prefer the keyboard on it as well. The MSI does have a bigger battery at a crazy 99.9 vs the 76 watt hour battery on the ASUS so I expect it would last a little longer an in general I think it's a nicer looking machine.

Anyone have any in depth experience with one or both of those that could give a good recommendation?
Is the ASUS worth $200 more for faster (but less) ram, slightly better processor, graphics card, and screen?
Anything I am missing in comparing these machines?

Thanks for the help!!!

Be very careful when buying a laptop for gaming.
I see many complaints about gaming laptops not performing well.
Usually gaming while plugged in.
One common cause is thermal throttling.
Laptop coolers must, of necessity be small and light.
They are also relatively underpowered.

Modern processors are very good and efficient, but, I think the problem comes with hot discrete graphics chips.

Perhaps something with a GTX1660ti might do:
https://www.microcenter.com/product...ptop-computer-factory-refurbished---dark-moss

Reactions: Dj0gany

ImageOfChaos

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2013
Thanks for the ram tip Djoza!
geofelt - While I know that a machine such as the Legion 5 you posted will probably have better thermals and less throttling, it does not fit really fit into my idea of thin and light at 5.4 pounds. I plan on carrying this to work with me each day and then plugging in at home in the evening to do some gaming, so every ounce matters. When looking at the thin and light devices I tend to see lots of max q graphics cards capped at 80w, which is why the ASUS stuck out as it is the full power 115w laptop 2070 super GPU. The GS66 seemed pretty close to the ASUS, maybe 10% less powerful, and in a premium device an extra $200 for a 10% gain seemed reasonable. But sometimes that 10% on paper really doesn't show in real world usage. I know that the perfect do everything computer doesn't really exist, but these 2 laptops seem to be the best thin and light options I could find in stock under 2k.

Reactions: Dj0gany

ImageOfChaos

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2013
No thinkpad x1 extremes at my local micro center, though it looks like the GPU on those is a little less powerful than what I was aiming for.

Any other thoughts on the ASUS or MSI mentioned in the original post?

jamzkang

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2012
I'm ready to pull the trigger on a new thin and light 15" laptop with some gaming chops and have narrowed down to 2 specific choices.
I know waiting for the newer RTX 30 series laptops to become more available would be smarter, but I am need of a laptop now as I sold my previous desktop and am having to do everything on a low powered 13" laptop which isn't cutting it.
Additionally, I have a $500 store credit at Microcenter, so I am only looking to purchase from there to maximize my bang for the out of pocket buck.

Here are the choices with specs:

MSI GS 66 Stealth - $1799.99
  • Intel Core i7-107050H Processor 2.6GHz
  • NVIDIA GeForce RTX2070 Super Max-Q 8GB GDDR6
  • 32GB DDR4-2666 RAM
  • 1TB Solid State Drive
  • Microsoft Windows 10 Home
  • Killer LAN E3100
  • Intel Wi-Fi 6 AX201 (2*2ax)
  • Bluetooth 5.0
  • 15.6" Full HD Anti-Glare Wide View Angle 240Hz 3ms Display
Or

The ASUS Rog Zephyrus S15 GX502 - $1999.99
  • Intel Core i7-10875H Processor 2.3GHz
  • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER with ROG Boost 8GB GDDR6
  • 16GB DDR4-3200 RAM
  • 1TB Solid State Drive
  • Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
  • 10/100/1000 Network
  • Intel Wi-Fi 6 with Gig+ performance (802.11ax)
  • Bluetooth 5.1
  • 15.6" Full HD IPS Anti-Glare 300Hz 3ms Display
From a performance perspective the ASUS seems to have the edge with a better processor, the max p 2070 super (instead of the max q), and faster ram (though it's only 16gb instead of 32gb on the MSI). The ASUS also looks to have a slightly better screen at 300hz vs 244 hz, though I'm not sure if I will even be able to detect a difference. The ASUS does not have a webcam which is an annoyance, but not a deal break as I already have a good external webcam. The ASUS also weighs almost a half pound less despite the beefier specs which is a nice bonus and I prefer the keyboard on it as well. The MSI does have a bigger battery at a crazy 99.9 vs the 76 watt hour battery on the ASUS so I expect it would last a little longer an in general I think it's a nicer looking machine.

Anyone have any in depth experience with one or both of those that could give a good recommendation?
Is the ASUS worth $200 more for faster (but less) ram, slightly better processor, graphics card, and screen?
Anything I am missing in comparing these machines?

Thanks for the help!!!
The Asus ROG notebook is a lot sleeker, and a bit lighter than the MSI one.
Both laptops are using the GTX 2070 MQ which is comparable if not slightly better than the regular GTX 2060.
I have the Zeph max Q 2060 + AMD 4900S and it powers through all current games easily.