Decision with GPU??!?

lucaswyrm

Prominent
Dec 10, 2017
So i think im going to buy GTX 1070 TI, but my friends are saying it's not going to work with my i5-3470 cuz it's too old...... What should I do?

CPU - i5 3470
RAM - 4GBx2 1600Mhz
PSU - 500W 80plus bronze

Solution
What is your motherobard? Some OEM boards might have trouble with it as they might have a BIOS that's finicky.

But they are wrong that it won't work because your system is too old.

What is your monitor's resolution and refresh rate?

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
What is your motherobard? Some OEM boards might have trouble with it as they might have a BIOS that's finicky.

But they are wrong that it won't work because your system is too old.

What is your monitor's resolution and refresh rate?

Solution
Jul 20, 2018
Your CPU is not that relevant here... what is your Motherboard ? Do you have a PCIE gen3X ? Card will always work... maybe the limit in your system is elsewhere... maybe not at its full potential ?

I think what your friends are trying to tell you is you are thinking of spending more on one component, the videocard, than your entire computer is worth. That's a big imbalance.

For a system with an i5 Ivy Bridge I'd say an Nvidia 1060/AMD 580 is the most you'd want to pair it with. This assumes we are talking 1080p 60hz gaming here.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador

*IF* that's what they're saying, it's still wrong. Hell, a friend of mine put together a new system a couple of years ago, and of the $1500 it cost, half of it was the GTX 1080 (which had just come out at the time). He already had the 2560x1440 monitor (144Hz refresh I think)

It also neglects the fact that the video card is portable over to a newer system.

Whether this interpretation is true, or not, I can't really see why/how OP's friends made their determination that it's not going to work.