[SOLVED] Deco X60 and home network storage recommendations (Ethernet or wireless)?

we5inelgr

Honorable
Oct 23, 2014
Hi all,

Just switched from an AX6000, to a Deco X60 Mesh for better coverage.

However, now I can't connect my Seagate External hard drive which has a USB 3.0 connection only. The Deco X60 only has an ethernet connection available.

This external drive is only used for file/photo/videos backup. No gaming, no streaming.

Looking for a drive that's accessible from multiple devices on our home network.

Would prefer an ethernet connection for the external drive (plug into the X60 directly), but WiFi/wireless would be fine as well.

Looking for something in the 2 TB (minimum) to around 4 or 5 TB (max) size.

Something that isn't really large, as in...the size of a small PC tower (ex. a multi-bay NAS). I've gotten used to a slimmer EHD such as Seagate's STHP4000401 sitting on a side table in the office next to the router, so I'd like to keep it around this size for space and weight considerations.

Seems like most options I've found so far are either the bigger NAS set ups, or the slimmer options are more for travel size (500mb - 1 TB).

Any recommendations for an ethernet connected 2-4 TB external drive?

Thanks.

Solution
Whatever you do, don't buy that new WD MYCLOUD HOME drive mess. Those are garbage and don't have real network file transfer protocols like SMB and FTP. Everything uses an app to download and upload. The older WD MYCLOUD is fine, but I don't recommend the HOME as a real NAS.

If you are going to spend alot of time next to this NAS, I'd recommend a NAS with a 120mm fan because it's much quieter.
If you have a desktop you can leave it on in low power mode and just add a hard drive to that.

I am not sure why you are having issues finding a device unless you think 2 bay nas systems are too large. Although many people do not use it one of the key features of network storage is to provide a disk system that is redundant. To do this you need a minimum of 2 hard drives thus the slightly larger size.

I guess I never really understood putting simple hard drives on a network with no protection. The extra cost to buy some device that you can hook to a network will always be more than the cost of the extra electricity to just stick a extra drive in some machine you already have and leave it in low power mode when it is not being used.

we5inelgr

Honorable
Oct 23, 2014
Thanks for the reply.

If you have a desktop you can leave it on in low power mode and just add a hard drive to that.
No, don't have a desktop.

I am not sure why you are having issues finding a device unless you think 2 bay nas systems are too large.
Yes, too large & heavy for our little side table where we have our X60.

Whatever you do, don't buy that new WD MYCLOUD HOME drive mess. Those are garbage and don't have real network file transfer protocols like SMB and FTP. Everything uses an app to download and upload. The older WD MYCLOUD is fine, but I don't recommend the HOME as a real NAS.

If you are going to spend alot of time next to this NAS, I'd recommend a NAS with a 120mm fan because it's much quieter.

Last edited:
Reactions: we5inelgr
Solution

we5inelgr

Honorable
Oct 23, 2014
Update: After more research, I decided to go with a NAS after-all. I thought they would be too big and heavy, but clearly there are options out there that are smaller these days.

Went with a Synology NAS DiskStation DS220j (Diskless), 2-bay; with two Seagate IronWolf's NAS ready HDD.
The NAS (w/o the drives) is only 3.3 pounds and measures 8.86 x 3.94 x 6.5 inches.

I'll plug the ethernet connection for the NAS, right into the main X60.

Very much looking forward to having a "proper," more secure home file backup/sharing system.

we5inelgr

Honorable
Oct 23, 2014

Thanks for the reply. I had read some reviews about the new WD MYCLOUD HOME. Lots of very unhappy customers regarding that setup.

USAFRet

Titan
Very much looking forward to having a "proper," more secure home file backup/sharing system.
Good choice. I'm a QNAP person myself, but Syn works as well.

TRENDING THREADS