Decoder for windows media player?

All I want to do is play a DVD through the Windows media player but a message
comes up : Windows Media Player cannot play the DVD because a compatible DVD
decoder is not installed on your computer.
Where do I go from here ?
Thanks

How to Check if DVD Decoder Software is Installed...

By default, Windows XP does not come with compatible DVD decoder software
installed. To confirm if you have Windows XP-compatible DVD decoder
software
on your system:

Start | Run | Type: dvdupgrd /detect | Click OK |

A Windows dialog box will open with identifying information about the
installed software. If No decoders found is displayed, no decoder is
installed and you cannot play DVDs.

Supported Software MPEG-2 DVD Decoders in Windows Media Player for Windows
XP
;306331]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];306331

Then get out your credit card....

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:A4768E74-A349-4D0F-9E53-FC333B10FC06@microsoft.com,
pixelpup <pixelpup@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:

"Wesley Vogel" wrote:

> How to Check if DVD Decoder Software is Installed...
>
> By default, Windows XP does not come with compatible DVD decoder software
> installed. To confirm if you have Windows XP-compatible DVD decoder
> software
> on your system:
>
> Start | Run | Type: dvdupgrd /detect | Click OK |
>
> A Windows dialog box will open with identifying information about the
> installed software. If No decoders found is displayed, no decoder is
> installed and you cannot play DVDs.
>
> Supported Software MPEG-2 DVD Decoders in Windows Media Player for Windows
> XP
> ;306331]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];306331
>
> Then get out your credit card....
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:A4768E74-A349-4D0F-9E53-FC333B10FC06@microsoft.com,
> pixelpup <pixelpup@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> > All I want to do is play a DVD through the Windows media player but a
> > message comes up : Windows Media Player cannot play the DVD because a
> > compatible DVD decoder is not installed on your computer.
> > Where do I go from here ?
> > Thanks
>
> Have done as advised. Windows can not detect dvdupgrd/detect. so no box is displayed !

DVD Support in Windows XP
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/windowsxp/dvdplay.aspx

DVD Decoders for Windows XP
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/windowsxp/buypacks.aspx

Resources for troubleshooting DVD problems in Windows XP

Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows XP - Shell/User
Microsoft Newsgroups

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

"pixelpup" wrote:

| All I want to do is play a DVD through the Windows media player but a message
| comes up : Windows Media Player cannot play the DVD because a compatible DVD
| decoder is not installed on your computer.
| Where do I go from here ?
| Thanks

Then you need to purchase a DVD Decoder because you do not have one.
Windows XP does not include a DVD decoder.

"pixelpup" wrote:

| Have done as advised. Windows can not detect dvdupgrd/detect. so no box is displayed !

You'll need something like PowerDVD, or a hardware decoder card (fits in a
PCI slot).