Decreased FPS and spikes in all games and Slow PC performance

Apr 4, 2018
Hi,

Basically my PC is getting slower along with video game FPS decreasing dramatically.

Detailed background story : >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

So a while back my PC went from performing with 300fps on CSGO to 150fps and I had a incredibly slow HDD with maps taking an age to load. I just bared through it then one day it went back to normal but now it has come back.

So for the 2 years of having my PC, turning on my pc would result in 100% disk usage for a good couple of hours depending on how long I wasn't on my PC for (1 week would be 2 hours and 2 weeks could be up to 5 hours on high disk usuage). I found this was probably to do with my HDD read speeds being slow but not being able to fix it.

So recently I got back from holiday after 1 away and my FPS has gone down to averaging around 80fps with slow loading times on games with consistent fps drops not only in CSGO but in other games like Fortnite with FPS on that around 40 !!!

So after this I have tried the Following: (Solutions) >>>>>>>>>>>>
-Used AVG PC tuneup partially cleaning my PC along with all optimisation tips they offer you.
-Multiple Defrags using the windows one
-Checked CPU temps / GPU temps with running MSI afterburner to see if anything was up and nothing was fishy.
-Cleared all Malware
-Drive partition and moved CS into a completely different drive alone.
-Used Novabench and found that everything was normal and above average apart from my HDD, However used another benchmark app and that said all my parts were below average.

Rig:

I5 6500
Nvidia GTX 1050ti
8gb Ram
Western Digital Blue HDD 1tb
600w corsair PSU

Any help is appreciated and would be really helpful thank you.

Solution
Download and update any and all motherboard drivers. Update your bios. Windows 10ce has known issues with 'legacy' drivers, it wants to use the generic windows drivers as they are a newer version number, but the drivers themselves don't have much 32bit support, so conflict with the mobo drivers. This mainly affects audio and Lan (causes lag spikes, slow fps, blackscreens, freezes etc)

bigsmilingbear

Honorable
Mar 7, 2018
try adding these in CSGO launch option
+fps_max 999 +fps_max_menu 59 +cl_forcepreload 1
inside game, open developer console and type:
snd_updateaudiocache
then,
snd_rebuildaudiocache

having fps_max_menu too high will make the loading slow as heck.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Download and update any and all motherboard drivers. Update your bios. Windows 10ce has known issues with 'legacy' drivers, it wants to use the generic windows drivers as they are a newer version number, but the drivers themselves don't have much 32bit support, so conflict with the mobo drivers. This mainly affects audio and Lan (causes lag spikes, slow fps, blackscreens, freezes etc)

Solution
Apr 4, 2018

OK thanks will try, I'm not sure how to update BIOS and MOBO but will try.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Goto the motherboard website, and search the support section for your Exact Motherboard model. You'll see the listing split up for bios, drivers, software etc. There will be directions on how to update, the drivers are easy, the bios is a little more complicated. Just be warned, updating the bios is touchy, follow directions exactly, do not do it until you have plenty of time, do not rush and please! Do not shutdown the pc unless told to do so or you'll brick the installation and possibly ruin the board.