[SOLVED] Decrese in voltage of GPU leads to unplayable performance

May 31, 2021
Hello, I noticed I have a problem with my laptop not a while ago. Every time I would open a game, after 5-10 minutes the FPS will drastically go down making an unplayable experience.
I decided to install MSI Afterburner to see whats wrong and found out that my voltage would sit around 0.8-0.9V, my GPU will be at 69 Degrees (around 1400 MHz) and my CPU will be at around 85 Degrees. After 10 minutes the voltage will go down to 0.65V, my GPU clock will be at 139 MHz and 100% usage, and will slowly cool to 59 Degress where it will stay for the rest of the game.
Does anyone know whats wrong and how to solve it?

I tried:
Updating all of my drivers with Driver Easy
Performing a full scan of my laptop with Malwarebytes
Ran a clean boot to see if any software is what's causing it.

Specs:
GPU: Nvidia Geforce MX250
CPU: Intel i5-10210U
RAM: 20 GB DDR4 2400Mhz
Laptop: Lenovo IdeaPad S540 15-IML
I have this laptop for a little over a year now.

Solution
Sounds like it's thermal related. Most likely the memory chips are getting over the 100c and causing the GPU to throttle, not a huge amount you can do for thermals in a Laptop.

The MX250 is not a good GPU with only 2GB VRAM and anything other older games will pummel it pretty quick. This is a so called "Multi Media" PC setup and not really meant for gaming.

The only thing you can do is set the fan curve of you laptop to it's highest but even then it will be limited to what it can do.
Sounds like it's thermal related. Most likely the memory chips are getting over the 100c and causing the GPU to throttle, not a huge amount you can do for thermals in a Laptop.

The MX250 is not a good GPU with only 2GB VRAM and anything other older games will pummel it pretty quick. This is a so called "Multi Media" PC setup and not really meant for gaming.

The only thing you can do is set the fan curve of you laptop to it's highest but even then it will be limited to what it can do.

Solution
May 31, 2021

The odd thing to me is that it worked flawlessly just a month ago running many games on 60 FPS even if they were on the medium settings, now I can't run games at all and I wonder what changed?

TRENDING THREADS