Decrypt issue Windows XP & 8.1 external HDD

HurricaneKing

Reputable
Mar 9, 2015
Need to know how to transfer, access, etc...files that I had encrypted on my external HDD on an old desktop using WIN XP. Now using a new Lenovo with WIN 8.1

So I have a WD 500GB external HDD that Ive had for years. I used to use this with my OLD desktop (Compaq Win XP) which I havent used or owned in a couple years. I just bought a new laptop (Lenovo Win 8.1) and unfortunately some of the files Id like to transfer were encrypted via WIN XP. I guess I had done this by RClick>properties>advanced>checkbox-encryptcontentstosecuredata which turns the files green. There never was any password associated with this encryption and I faintly remember "whats the point of checking this box then?" . Anyways, is there a way I can decrypt these so I can have access to them?

Solution
If you didn't back up the encryption keys & certificates on the XP machine then you'll never again be able to access the contents of those encrypted files. EFS is very good at what it does, and there are no back doors (wouldn't be very secure if there were).
If you didn't back up the encryption keys & certificates on the XP machine then you'll never again be able to access the contents of those encrypted files. EFS is very good at what it does, and there are no back doors (wouldn't be very secure if there were).

Solution

HurricaneKing

Reputable
Mar 9, 2015
Thanks ex_bubblehead. I figured as much but I was really hoping I was wrong. It didn't register in my mind as encrypted at the time since it would let ME access it at like any other file. I guess the difference would have been if I logged into it as another user. Damn my ignorance I guess. I'm operating with a much better system now, as well as more knowledge on encryption. Using AXcrypt. Pretty great system if I do say so, myself.