Dedicated Backup Drives vs Internal HDD w/ Docking Station

subterminal303

Commendable
Oct 13, 2017
Howdy folks,

Quality wise, is there a difference in using portable external HDDs like this versus using a docking station with internal HDDs such as a Seagate Barracuda? The purpose is general storage of lots of raw footage, photos, and my personal music/movie collection.

I understand that the docking station will be cheaper in the long run so I'm looking at a quality/performance comparison.

Cheers!

Solution

I prefer regular drives instead of those portable external things.
Usually, ones like the one you linked at BHPV want to have their own proprietary backup software.
"Seagate Dashboard for Automatic Backup"

Instead of some more generic process that isn't tied to that particular drive and enclosure.

USAFRet

Titan

I prefer regular drives instead of those portable external things.
Usually, ones like the one you linked at BHPV want to have their own proprietary backup software.
"Seagate Dashboard for Automatic Backup"

Instead of some more generic process that isn't tied to that particular drive and enclosure.

Solution

subterminal303

Commendable
Oct 13, 2017

No issues with extra physical handling/movement of the normal HDDs (while not in use), storage in a office room, etc?

Doctor Rob

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2008
IF you really care about your data you should really have an RAID external drive setup (2 drives or more if you can afford it) and backup to that.. then also backup to a online service like backblaze as then you are covered from just about any issue.. and for backup software to auto backup to the external I normally use Acronis software for that or just copy your stuff over like once a week or so and if you use an online solution like backblaze.

USAFRet

Titan

No, not really.
Just don't drop it. Same applies for that Seagate external thing you linked.

Read here for my and other peoples backup procedures:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-3383768/backup-situation-home.html

2 main concepts with backups:
Tested and Automated.