Dxtr

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2014
Running on a Lenovo y50-70 laptop
Specs:
i7 4720HQ
16GB Ram
GTX 960m

After few mins of gameplay I always got a massive unplayable fps drops which lasts for about a minute ir two. In task manager performance tab it is seen that my 960m usage drops from 90+ percent to 10-40% and is replaced by a integrated one (Intel HD4600) which usage bumps to 60-80%

No thermal throttling has been found. This happens even at temperatures lower than 85 degrees.

Things I have tried:

PhysX processor set to 960m

Switching all the settings to maximum performance in power settings and nvidia control panel.

Performed a clean, updated, licensed windows install with latest clean installed drivers

Tried disabling Intel HD graphics which actually made things worse, 10fps tops.

setting priority to high

Using a cooler for laptop

Looking forward to hear any ideas.

mu_p1

Prominent
Jan 21, 2022
Running on a Lenovo y50-70 laptop
Specs:
i7 4720HQ
16GB Ram
GTX 960m

After few mins of gameplay I always got a massive unplayable fps drops which lasts for about a minute ir two. In task manager performance tab it is seen that my 960m usage drops from 90+ percent to 10-40% and is replaced by a integrated one (Intel HD4600) which usage bumps to 60-80%

No thermal throttling has been found. This happens even at temperatures lower than 85 degrees.

Things I have tried:

PhysX processor set to 960m

Switching all the settings to maximum performance in power settings and nvidia control panel.

Performed a clean, updated, licensed windows install with latest clean installed drivers

Tried disabling Intel HD graphics which actually made things worse, 10fps tops.

setting priority to high

Using a cooler for laptop

Looking forward to hear any ideas.
Might be some hardware issues.

Dxtr

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2014
Check system logs to see if there are messages in there about Nvidia drivers crashing. Your game/DX may be automatically switching over to IGP because your GPU bleeped out of existence for a few seconds.
Okay I will do some testings and let you know.
Btw nvidia control panel was crashing before i reinstalled windows, even after performing clean drivers install. There was no chance to manage 3D settings. But now looks that working correctly. Had a clue that there might be a problem, but now seems like it was not a issue.

Dxtr

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2014
Well, only the strange thing Ive found is bunch of warnings with different processors. Looks like this:

The speed of processor 4 in group 0 is being limited by system firmware. The processor has been in this reduced performance state for 71 seconds since the last report.

Dxtr

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2014
Okay so that was not a hardware issue. Changed my heatsink plus bought a cooling pad and surprisingly with these 2 things the average temperature in-game dropped for almost 20 degrees celsius. Problem Solved.