[SOLVED] Dedicated Graphics Card vs Intel Integrated Graphics ?

May 11, 2021
My understanding is having a discrete graphics cards is always better than integrated Intel Graphics. In this case, I am debating on which PC will perform better. One is an 11th Generation Intel i5 with 8 GB RAM and integrated Intel Iris XE Graphics. The other is a 10th Generation Intel i7 with 16 GB RAM and a 2 GB Nvidia MX230 Graphics card. Does the newer generation of Intel chip mean the integrated graphics might be as powerful as a graphics card ? Any responses greatly appreciated.

Solution
Both options are kind of horrible: 8GB of system RAM minus the 2-3GB that will get used by the IGP leaves you with only 5-6GB for everything else and cause horrible gaming performance. Having only 2GB of memory on discrete graphics isn't going to be particularly good for graphics either.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Best case for the Intel would be about 2/3 to 3/4 the performance of an MX230. MX230 is based on the Pascal (10 series) Nvidia graphics. Intel HD750 compares favorably to an Nvidia GT740, but with more up to date features.

MX230 is the lowest end GPU from Nvidia still in production, I believe.

Intel graphics is possibly more power efficient and would give you better battery life, though trading an i7 for an i5 will certainly result in a loss of general performance.

If you are interested in gaming, probably want to look for something with a GTX 1660 or RTX2060 in it.

InvalidError

Titan
Both options are kind of horrible: 8GB of system RAM minus the 2-3GB that will get used by the IGP leaves you with only 5-6GB for everything else and cause horrible gaming performance. Having only 2GB of memory on discrete graphics isn't going to be particularly good for graphics either.

Solution
Integrated graphics is fine for most desktop work and videos.
For fast action gaming, you need discrete graphics,
But, I might warn you about gaming laptops.
I see many complaints about gaming laptops not performing well.
Usually gaming while plugged in.
One common cause is thermal throttling.
Laptop coolers must, of necessity be small and light.
They are also relatively underpowered.

Unless you need portability, you can likely do better with a desktop.