[SOLVED] Dedicated mic and headset

Nikko G

Honorable
Aug 25, 2015
Hello guys, I am currently in the market for a good mic I can use for videos, streaming and everyday use such as Discord. My budget is around $150. I own a mechanical keyboard and am hoping to find something that can filter out the background noise.
I am also in the market for a nice pair of over ear headphones to use with it my budget for that is around $250. I listen to a lot of RNB, Pop, Rock, Punk Rock, a mix playlist, which is why I decided why not just go for a nice set of headphones. Not sure if you can get anything of "audiophile" quality for that price, but whatever would be the best bang for my buck will work as well.

If this is in the wrong section, please transfer it to the correct one,please and thank you!

So far I have found the HyperX Quadcast for the mic and ATH-M50X for the headphones. Thanks!

Solution
HyperX Quadcast fits the need pretty well, it's sound isn't quite as nice as the AT2020 but it's marketed around gamers and has features that make that niche easier. I like the tap to mute feature and being able to connect to multiple sources at once works out nice.

As far as noise cancelation that is going to be software-based and not a feature built into mics at this price range, you can find suggestions for that here.

As far as headphones you want something with a decent bass response for RnB and Pop, most monitors you will find in that range lack decent bass.

Meze 99 Neo- Not quite Audiophile but really close and overall just a better Can over a M50X in every aspect. With this everything is replaceable down...

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador
HyperX Quadcast fits the need pretty well, it's sound isn't quite as nice as the AT2020 but it's marketed around gamers and has features that make that niche easier. I like the tap to mute feature and being able to connect to multiple sources at once works out nice.

As far as noise cancelation that is going to be software-based and not a feature built into mics at this price range, you can find suggestions for that here.

As far as headphones you want something with a decent bass response for RnB and Pop, most monitors you will find in that range lack decent bass.

Meze 99 Neo- Not quite Audiophile but really close and overall just a better Can over a M50X in every aspect. With this everything is replaceable down to the smallest screw and can be purchased from Meze. A little over your price range but well worth it.

Headfonics Review
Head-Fi review

Any of these would also work and each has its own sound profile that some prefer over the other.

HD 599's
Philips Fidelio X2/27 or HR
ATH-M50x

Last edited:
Solution

Nikko G

Honorable
Aug 25, 2015

Meze 99 Neo- Not quite Audiophile but really close and overall just a better Can over a M50X in every aspect. With this everything is replaceable down to the smallest screw and can be purchased from Meze. A little over your price range but well worth it.

Headfonics Review
Head-Fi review

Any of these would also work and each has its own sound profile that some prefer over the other.

HD 599's
Philips Fidelio X2/27 or HR
ATH-M50x
I was also considering the AT2020, I see that mic has two options for connection. USB or XLR, can I only get one or the other? Basically, say I decide to go for the USB AT2020, can I down the road get an XLR cable and use it with the AT2020?

Also what is your opinion on Massdrop HD6XX and DT770s vs Meze 99 Neos?

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador
no, you buy the type you want, so if later you want XLR (which I would get) you need to buy an AT2020 XLR mic

also, there is no usb AT2020

https://www.audio-technica.com/cms/wired_mics/a0933a662b5ed0e2/index.html

OUTPUT CONNECTORIntegral 3-pin XLRM-type

look at the specs. it's xlr
Look again sir, you're not powering an XLR mic across USB there is too much of a voltage difference.

at2020usb.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-AT2020USB-Cardioid-Condenser-Microphone/dp/B00B5ZX9FM
AT2020usbat.jpg

https://www.audio-technica.com/cms/wired_mics/5879a6ca22e5aa7e/index.html

I was also considering the AT2020, I see that mic has two options for connection. USB or XLR, can I only get one or the other? Basically, say I decide to go for the USB AT2020, can I down the road get an XLR cable and use it with the AT2020?

Also what is your opinion on Massdrop HD6XX and DT770s vs Meze 99 Neos?

Massdrop HD6XX vs Meze- Open back that picks up lots of Ambient noise and they have a large sound stage plus sound better overall. If you want clarity with more of an emphasis on the vocal ranges these are for you. They do however lack Bass so EDM and other music styles that have plenty of Bass are not as impressive. I would also consider using them with a DAC/AMP since onboard audio doesn't seem to do them all that much favor.

DT770 VS Meze- They lack the bass and the Clarity and have a slightly smaller sound stage even though both are closed-back designs. They are bulky, tight and have a non-replacable cable. You need to consider which version you get since they come in 32 Ω , 80 Ω and 250 Ω.

Meze's- Closed-back design but offers a surprisingly good sound stage. They are well balanced and offer great clarity with a good amount of Bass. They are also easy to drive and work well across any device.

There is a big difference between XLR "48V Phantom" and USB "5V" You should consider that now. Going full XLR is more expensive and probably not needed unless you're using it as an income. USB mics are more than good enough for an everyday use, especially Discord with is rather crappy quality.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nikko G