Dedicated physx card

Chodam

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2009
I recently decided to add my old 9800gt into my computer as a dedicated physx card with my gtx 760, after tinkering around for an hour or so I finally got it to show up in nvidia control panel and set it up accordingly. Though every time I launch Borderlands 2 it freezes and have to end the task. Am I doing something wrong or is the card just dead. If the card was dead would it still be detected my system?

Specs:
Motherboard: MSI 970 Gaming
PSU: 750W

Solution
Regardless of whether it's dead or not, it's simply not a good idea in your case.

If the dedicated PhysX card isn't fast enough then the main GPU simply waits for it to finish which gives you a SLOWER experience overall. Whether a PhysX card is a good idea in terms of performance depends on:

1. Relative PhysX processing power of card to main GPU processing power
2. Amount of PhysX used by a particular game at a particular moment.

You can easily tell if the card is dead by shutting down and using only the 9800GT, however again I don't think it would make a difference.

If you got it to work, then try a repeatable scenario (preferably a BENCHMARK) then you'd have to run:
a) With PhysX assigned to main card only, and
b) PhysX assigned...
Regardless of whether it's dead or not, it's simply not a good idea in your case.

If the dedicated PhysX card isn't fast enough then the main GPU simply waits for it to finish which gives you a SLOWER experience overall. Whether a PhysX card is a good idea in terms of performance depends on:

1. Relative PhysX processing power of card to main GPU processing power
2. Amount of PhysX used by a particular game at a particular moment.

You can easily tell if the card is dead by shutting down and using only the 9800GT, however again I don't think it would make a difference.

If you got it to work, then try a repeatable scenario (preferably a BENCHMARK) then you'd have to run:
a) With PhysX assigned to main card only, and
b) PhysX assigned to dedicated card only

Compare the results.

Again, it varies by the game etc but I'd guess you'd want at least HALF the processing power for it to possibly be worth your while.

Solution

uglyduckling81

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2011
Just don't bother.
This has been covered a million times before.
Nvidia tried to push this idea on us but it didn't take.
You get almost no noticeable increase in FPS at the cost of running a second card.
I suppose most of those tests show using an older GPU in support with a high end GPU.