Question Dedicated streaming PC specs

phosphorus

Honorable
Aug 25, 2016
Hi,

I'm trying to stream. I have an old pc and want to free some workload from my gaming pc, I wanted to know if I can use the old one to stream and record, or just record the gameplay.
Not sure about the specs, but something like an I3 and geforce 440gt, 2 gb of ram i think (dont have the pc in this house)?

"New" pc : i5 4670k overclockled to 3.8-4, 16gb ram, geforce 760gtx

And BTW, do I need an ethernet crossovercable or can I link the pcs via router? What about the plugin NDI?

I did find this "
PC #2: Dedicated Streaming PC
Because this PC’s job is to encode and stream your video feed, it is going to be much different from your average gaming PC. This is where you have the opportunity to make use of the higher quality software encoding by dedicating an entire CPU to the streaming process.
There are three things to highlight about this PC:
  • No Graphics Card: This PC does not need a lot of graphical power. As a matter of fact, you could easily get by without a graphics card and simply choose a CPU with an integrated graphics processor. As long as you don’t plan to use this as a secondary gaming rig, you just need graphical power to output to a monitor.
  • Less Power: Compared to your gaming PC, your streaming PC does not need to be very powerful. You can get away with 4GB of RAM, a mechanical hard drive, and a low-end motherboard. There’s no need to go crazy with this PC. The rough requirement for streaming at 60fps 4500kbp/s (Twitch’s current maximum settings) will require an AMD FX-4300 or better. However, we will be recommending a low-end i5 to absolutely guarantee a smooth experience.
  • Capture Card: You will need a way to record information from your gaming PC. For the most part, motherboards do not have video input devices on them. To solve this, you will need a capture card, preferably with HDMI and HD support. We have a few recommendations below.
You will also need a monitor for your streaming PC. Again you can compromise on quality here, as it doesn’t need to be an incredibly responsive monitor or one with superb contrast.
"