Dedicated streaming PC

Hogg3r

Prominent
Jul 6, 2017

TLDR: What kind of Streaming PC (Dual PC setup.. I'm talking about the stream encoding PC) setup would I be looking at for a future proof (to upgrade to 1080p60fps stream later on) streaming PC.

Okay I know there's like a million different threads on this subject but there also seems to be a million different answers.. and it's pretty clear not all of them can be right. so..

I took my old PC into use hoping to use it as a secondary PC to do all the stream encoding work.. looking through countless forums.. other streamers setups.. youtube.. etc.. The recommended solutions that were recommended were ranging from basicly a 2-core Pentium to a 10 Core Extreme i9+ a good GPU.. so that doesn't make much sense does it?

My Stream PC has a i5 4440 and 8GB of 1600Mhz DDR3 RAM and an Elgato HD60 Pro PCI-e capture card (NO GPU!).. Now that I heard people are streaming 720p60fps no problem with 2-core processors I thought "Well my old i5 should cut through this like butter" Oh boy I was wrong.. 50-90% CPU usage and around 25-35fps and the stream is choppy as hell.. I used to have the exact same settings on my gaming PC (i7 7700k + 1070) and I was getting like 5-10% usage and 50-60fps.. no stuttering.. nothing.. OBS Settings:

Encoder: x264
Bitrate: 3500
CPU Usage Preset: veryfast
Output Resolution 1280x720
FPS: 60

And after googling this subject I got various different versions on what I should do.. :
1."The elgato will do most of the work, just get a quad-core processor" and this one that would suggest I would actually need a GPU for my streaming PC????
2: "Yes, GPU absolutely makes a difference. OBS uses your GPU to composite and render the output video." aaand this one
3. "Because this PC’s job is to encode and stream your video feed, it is going to be much different from your average gaming PC. This is where you have the opportunity to make use of the higher quality software encoding by dedicating an entire CPU to the streaming process.

There are three things to highlight about this PC:

* No Graphics Card: This PC does not need a lot of graphical power. As a matter of fact, you could easily get by without a graphics card and simply choose a CPU with an integrated graphics processor. As long as you don’t plan to use this as a secondary gaming rig, you just need graphical power to output to a monitor."

So yeah.. the outcome of doing all of this research is just more confusion.. so the barebones question is.. what kind of specs would I need to have a future proof (to upgrade to a 1080p60fps later on) Streaming PC?

Solution
You should go with the ryzen since it is the most cost effective way to get the amount of cpu threads you need for a dedicated streaming rig. With this cpu, you need to use a dedicated graphics card.
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor ($174.98 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte - GA-AB350M-Gaming 3 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($89.36 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($179.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.89 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus - GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB Phoenix Video Card ($214.98 @...

jwcrellin

Reputable
You should go with the ryzen since it is the most cost effective way to get the amount of cpu threads you need for a dedicated streaming rig. With this cpu, you need to use a dedicated graphics card.
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor ($174.98 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte - GA-AB350M-Gaming 3 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($89.36 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($179.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.89 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus - GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB Phoenix Video Card ($214.98 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT - S340 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.49 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - EVO Edition 620W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($63.89 @ Newegg)
Total: $852.58
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-04-16 14:49 EDT-0400

Solution