Dedicating hardware to virtualized systems

FederalSpaghetti

Reputable
Nov 16, 2015
Recently, I've been doing some experimentation with linux distros and virtualization. I've been trying to figure out if any versions of Linux could really meet my needs as an alternative to Windows, but I don't want to deal with rebooting every 15 mins to test the next distro. So I installed VMware and started using that. My problem is that I can't really tell how the OS performs when uninhibited; however, I have extra graphics hardware in my PC that I'm wondering about dedicating to a VM. I have an R9 380 GPU installed that I currently have my monitor plugged into, but I also haven't replaced my A10-7700K yetso it's graphics hardware is just sitting disabled. Is it possible that I could allocate the spare video cores from the A10 to a virtual machine?

Solution

if you have experience with linux try proxmox its free and can do everything you want

op could you clarify? my suggestion was based of the assumption you were runing vmware esxi?

FederalSpaghetti

Reputable
Nov 16, 2015

I haven't tried it with 380. I don't know where Configuration is on VMware. I can access hardware settings for VM's when I right click on their entry, but that window doesn't indicate anything about dedicating physical hardware to the VM.

FederalSpaghetti

Reputable
Nov 16, 2015

No I'm using windows as my host. I guess it can't be done. Thanks for trying to help though,

if you have experience with linux try proxmox its free and can do everything you want

Solution

FederalSpaghetti

Reputable
Nov 16, 2015

I guess I'll give that a shot.

TRENDING THREADS