Question Deep Cool RF120 3in1 RGB Fan

Apr 20, 2019
(Forgive my ignorance since im new to pc building)

Recently I bought the subject fan (1x 3in1 pack). I'm planning to use 6 fans for my rig but then, I noticed that the included fan hub can only be used for 4 fans. I know there are two connectors on the fans, one for power and one to the motherboard.

Now, do I need to purchase another 3in1 pack so that I can use 6 fans or is there any other way around?

By the way my motherboard (msi b360m pro-vh) has only one chassis fan header.

Please explain it to me. Thanks in advance!

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
There's 2 plugs on the fans. One for the RGB control and a seperate plug for the fan speeds.

Your motherboard has 1x cpu fan header and 2x system fan headers according to MSI.

You have 3 fans, and you plan on 6, so yes you'll need another 3-in-1 pack...

DEEPCOOL RF120

The Deepcool RF120 fans have 2 Headers: 1x 4-pin PWM that goes into the included Fan Hub & 1x RGB header that goes in the RGB splitter.

The included Fan Hub can host up to 4 fans and the splitter up to 3 or 5 fans (technically 5 if you plug a 2nd included splitter into the "main" splitter).
There are 2 kind of splitters: One with a mini-controller and one without.

Your motherboard does not have an RGB header, so you need to use the RGB splitter with the mini-controller that connects to the fans on one side and connects to the PSU via SATA on the other side.

Finally, you can control the Fan speed via your motherboard software or BIOS trough a single Sys_Fan header since you're using the Fan Hub.
And you can control the RGB lighting with either Asus Aura or the mini-controller.

Since you'll have 2x 3-in-1, use splitters from both packs on 1 controller. The controller is Sata powered, so no worries on pwm fans. This all works off a single pwm header, but if you wish, you can use a regular pwm splitter on the other header, that keeps intakes speeds and exhaust speeds seperate, but uses a single controller for all the RGB.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2019
My board has only 1 system fan header. Maybe you mistakenly searched for msi b360m pro-vdh who has 2. Mine is b360m pro-vh. Do I need a splitter to connect the 2 fan hubs on the system fan header or can I connect the 1 hub to the other?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Heh, I did pull a search, for the VH. Google pulled the VDH first, gotta scroll halfway down the page to find VH. Wierd thing. But you ate right in that, but can still run all 6 fans from just 1 header.

Just use 1 hub. It has 4way fan splitter you take 2 of those and splitter then again with 2way splitters. The info isn't exactly clear. Do the same on the RGB side. You can use the cables from the second hub on the first. This way there's only the one. Or you can get a pwm fan hub (deepcool has a 10way pwm for $10 at Amazon) run all your fans to it. Both hubs are Sata powered, not header powered. The only reason for the header is the rpm wire and the pwm signal wire. This'll tuck all the fan wires behind the mobo, out of the way, anywhere really, and leave the RGB controller for just the lighting, which can gang 6 RGB lights.

Last edited: