[SOLVED] Deepcool Captain 120 ex - Burning smell ...

jadc007

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2012
Hi All,

Has anybody got any experience with burning smell from the actual cooling block on the deepcool captain 120 ex aio ?

It has happened twice now, the first time I didn't think much of it because I had builders in using the tools and my computer had automatically switched off while playing a game and I could smell burning which I thought was the buiders tools (As the computer rebooted fine) but last night me and the misses was watching TV when we heard a big Pop and the computer rebooted and all we could smell was burning, I instantly ran over and pulled the plug from the wall and did a sniff test on the components to find the main smell coming the cooler block (part that attaches to cpu)

Specs 9700k (Stock clock)
MSI Z390 gaming edge Itx ac
16GB ddr4 3600mhz
1080ti Zotac
EVGA 750 psu

i've got a air cooler coming today to hopefully fit and for it work again - Like I say I wonder the big pop noise is

thanks all !

Solution
Before I would switch ANYTHING back on I would get the PSU checked and by default replaced, loud pops are normally a short circuit, There is no way a pump on an AIO would make such a loud popwith smoke, they just silently fail....

The smell of smoke there is because of heat it rises and got trapped there by the case airflow. I would bet money the PSU is fried and cannot power the system hence the shutdown when it gets to a critical load. How old is the PSU?

If you added a new AIO cooler to a system running at the max of the PSU it probably flipped it.... best of luck.
Before I would switch ANYTHING back on I would get the PSU checked and by default replaced, loud pops are normally a short circuit, There is no way a pump on an AIO would make such a loud popwith smoke, they just silently fail....

The smell of smoke there is because of heat it rises and got trapped there by the case airflow. I would bet money the PSU is fried and cannot power the system hence the shutdown when it gets to a critical load. How old is the PSU?

If you added a new AIO cooler to a system running at the max of the PSU it probably flipped it.... best of luck.

Solution

jadc007

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2012
But surely if it was the PSU , the PSU would smell like the AIO and before the aio the GPU would stink of this burning smell ? The PSU is about a month old where as aio is 6 months

I'll triple check the PSU tonight to make sure, but it's annoying it seems to happen after long use

Thanks Wolf

I'm not saying it is impossible the pump went bang and burning but not likely, but if it was the aio that was gone your CPU temps would be through the roof and that could be the reason for the shut down. 90% of loud pops are going to be caused by PSU related issue, PSU itself or power supply issues to other parts.

jadc007

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2012
Sorry for dragging up an old post - But would like to let everybody know after all the fath ... the motherboard capacitors near the CPU side under a shield had blown (All 3) got it replaced which is what was causing the smell and turn off

Reactions: Schlachtwolf