Deepcool fan hub and fan amps

gtlicup162

Prominent
Sep 2, 2017
Deepcool Fan Hub and Cryorig QF120mm High Performance LED Fans

Hello

I have a deepcool fan hub (http://www.deepcool.com/product/dcoolingaccessory/accessory/2013-12/48_663.shtml)

I also have 3 X Cryorig QF120mm High Performance LED Fans (http://www.cryorig.com/qf120led.php)

Heres my question, I am planning to connect the 3x cryorig fans to the fan hub. Then the fan hub to a CPU_FAN header. One fan needs 0.5A

My motherboard Asus Strix z370 F Gaming, according to support, has 2.0A for the CPU_FAN header.

Is it possible or me to connect the fan hub with 3x cryorig fans (1.5A total) to a CPU_FAN header without having problems?

Solution
Do NOT use that fan Hub to connect those three fans to a single mobo CHA_FAN header. I doubt it can supply 2 A - almost all of these are 1.0 A max, a FEW are clearly spec'd at 3.0 A.

GR1M_ZA is getting 3 fans to work with a slight overload. Your fans present a much larger overload potential.

GR1M_ZA is correct in the last sentence, OR a similar alternative. You CAN connect TWO of those fans to a single CHA_FAN header using that Hub, then connect the third fan either to the CPU_OPT header or to the second CHA_FAN header. In either case, the header with that third fan should be configured (of possible) to use as its temperature reference the "regular" sensor on the mobo, and not the one inside the CPU chip. Same goes for the header used...

gtlicup162

Prominent
Sep 2, 2017

Hello, thanks!

Im a bit confused though as now the z370 f gaming manual says its 1.0A per header but tech support says its 2.0A

If in case its 1.0A, then does that mean I can only connect 2 of the fans to the fan hub?

GR1M_ZA

Reputable
Apr 29, 2014
Yes, looks like it.

I run 3x CM SickelFlow X fans on my CPU Header via fan hub on a ASUS TUF Z370-PRO GAMING mother board . The fans are .35A and 4.2W ( that is 1.05A and 12.6W in total for 3 fans) , it is a little over but I am sure I will be fine. Fans run fine.

If you leave the fans on balanced you should be able to connect 3 with no issues.

The fan you listed have specs as follows :

Silent : 0.15A
Balanced : 0.25A
Performance : 0.5A

You can always connect 2 fans via fan hub and 1 on the CPU_OPT header.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Do NOT use that fan Hub to connect those three fans to a single mobo CHA_FAN header. I doubt it can supply 2 A - almost all of these are 1.0 A max, a FEW are clearly spec'd at 3.0 A.

GR1M_ZA is getting 3 fans to work with a slight overload. Your fans present a much larger overload potential.

GR1M_ZA is correct in the last sentence, OR a similar alternative. You CAN connect TWO of those fans to a single CHA_FAN header using that Hub, then connect the third fan either to the CPU_OPT header or to the second CHA_FAN header. In either case, the header with that third fan should be configured (of possible) to use as its temperature reference the "regular" sensor on the mobo, and not the one inside the CPU chip. Same goes for the header used for the other case fans.

There is also another option for you if you want all three of those fans connected together to a single mobo CHA_FAN header. The "problem" here is that, in my opinion, the DeepCool device you linked is NOT a HUB. It is really only a SPLITTER that connects all its fans in parallel to a single mobo header, and hence depends on the header alone for all fan power. A REAL HUB, on the other hand, has a separate cable from it that must plug into a power output (either 4-pin Molex (aka Peripheral) or SATA) from the PSU, and it gets ALL power for its fans from that source, avoiding the current limit of the mobo header. The Hub gets the PWM control signal from the mobo header and simply shares that to all its fans, but this does NOT overload the header. Be aware that such a device can ONLY be used with a mobo header configured to use PWM Mode for control (so it can supply the PWM signal to the Hub) AND that it can only control 4-pin fans - NOT 3-pin models. Your mobo CHA_FAN headers can be set to PWM Mode, and as far as I can tell the Cryorg QF120 LED High Performance units are 4-pin. So this can work for you. An example of such a real 4-pin fan HUB is

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA4RE6WD6903&cm_re=fan_hub-_-11-990-016-_-Product

from DeepCool with 10 ports, or

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811999309&cm_re=fan_hub-_-11-999-309-_-Product

from Silverstone with 8 ports.

Note one characteristic of all Hubs and Splitters. Any mobo CHA_FAN header can deal with the speed signal of only ONE fan - more signals overlapping just causes enormous confusion and errors. So the Hub or Splitter will only return to the mobo header the speed signal of ONE fan plugged into a marked port. The speeds of all other fans on that device will simply be ignored and cannot be "seen". This has NO effect on ability to control the fans.

Solution

gtlicup162

Prominent
Sep 2, 2017

Hello!

Thanks for answering. I just checked with Asus support tech. You are indeed right in saying that these headers give out maximum 1.0Amp.

I will then follow you and GRIM_ZA's opinion. I will connect the fan hub to the CPU_FAN, but will be connecting only 2 fans (total 1.0A). Then for the CPU_OPT, I will be connecting 1 fan (0.5A). I guess this is the most acceptable one without spending any money.

A side question though, how do you configure the header to sense temps from the mobo, rather than the CPU? This is the first time i've heard you can do this. Whoa!

I also now get what your pointing at. A "fan hub" needs molex power from the PSU to truly be a "hub".

Thanks so much man!

GR1M_ZA

Reputable
Apr 29, 2014

I double checked my fans....they are 0.32A so I am good connecting 3x fans to the hub. To be honest, I did not even researched this before your thread. :ouch: Thanks for bringing it to my attention....now I know! I would have felt bad if you damaged anything on your new board if you followed my advise. :(

Good thing you had more users reply to your thread.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
OP, I recommend you do NOT connect a new fan Hub to the CPU_FAN header.

A mobo has two general fan control systems or "loops". For each there is a temperature sensor plus some loop tuning parameters such as the target temp, system response times, loop gain and offset, etc., most of which you will never see. Each is actually a TEMPERATURE control loop, even though we speak of "fan speed control". In fact, each loop is focused on keeping the TEMPERATURE at its sensor at the target, and to do that it manipulates the speed of the fan connected to that header. It really does not care what that speed is, it just changes it as necessary to keep temp under control.

There is always one loop for the CPU chip cooling. It always uses the temp sensor built into the CPU chip by its maker and fed out to the mobo on one chip pin. Hence, for this header you will NOT find any option to change the sensor it uses. Because of the two most common fan types in use today, almost all of the CPU_FAN headers are designed to be able to control either 3-pin or 4-pin fans. So that is the one header that is guaranteed to be able to provide a PWM signal that most Hubs require. For that reason, SOME Hub makers recommend you use it to connect their Hub, but that's not always the best choice because its control is based solely on the CPU internal temperature. IF your mobo's SYS_FAN or CHA_FAN headers can provide a PWM signal, they are a better place to connect a set of fans that are devoted to case ventilation.

The SYS_FAN or CHA_FAN headers of a mobo usually are controlled by a different temperature sensor built into the mobo by its maker. On many current mobos there may be more than one such sensor in the mobo - one "general" one, plus a few others for specific components like the Voltage Regulator or the North Bridge chips. These allow you to control one or a group of fans that concentrate on those particular components, instead of on the mobo as a whole. Some of these headers operate only in one Mode (i.e., Voltage Control Mode necessary for 3-pin fans, or PWM Mode ideal for 4-pin fans). Some offer you the choice of either Mode, and a few claim to detect the type of fan plugged in and adjust themselves. IF your Hub is used only for case ventilation fans, the ideal way to use them is to connect to a mobo CHA_FAN or SYS_FAN header that CAN be set to use PWM Mode. Then it WILL use (or can be set to use) the general mobo temperature sensor, rather than the one inside the CPU chip.

Some mobos have a CPU_OPT fan header, intended for use with other cooling components associated with the CPU chip. But to make them more general, these often have options to use a mobo temp sensor rather than the CPU internal sensor, and that makes it possible to "re-assign" these headers to work just like an extra CHA_FAN header.

So, OP, that's what I suggest you do with your new fan Hub. Connect only the CPU cooler system to the CPU_FAN header. Then you have two CHA_FAN headers for case ventilation. Each of those can be configured to use PWM Mode for control, and to use the general mobo temperature sensor for guidance. Use the Hub on one of those headers to connect two of your high-power fans (or all three if you choose), and you can connect the last one to the other CHA_FAN header. That way the CPU cooling will be guided by the CPU chip internal temp, and all the case fans will be guided by the mobo temp sensor.

Thanks for Best Solution, and good luck!