[SOLVED] Deepcool FH-10 and CPU_FAN header

Dec 24, 2020
Hello,

I have a case with 4 ARGB fans (all 3-pin) connected to my fan hub (Deepcool FH-10), which only controls the first input of a PWM fan. Because of that, I can't control the speed of my fans in BIOS using DC voltage due to PWM connection of FH-10, so they all are at full speed and quite loud.

However, my CPU Air Cooler (Hyper 212 Black) is connected by 4-pin into the CPU_FAN header in the motherboard and I can control the speed inside the BIOS.

The question is: If I connect the air cooler into the first input of FH-10 fan hub, along with case fans in the remaining inputs (2-4) and then plug the PWM cable from FH-10 into my CPU_FAN header, will my case fans speed be adjusted according to my CPU fan?

These fans came with my case and I didn't know they were 3-pin when I bought the FH-10. Is this a good solution if it works or should I just put FH-10 aside and buy Y splitters for the case fans and plug them on SYS_FAN (controlling the speed via DC voltage in BIOS) and leave my CPU fan alone in the CPU_Header?

Thank you!

Solution
should I just put FH-10 aside and buy Y splitters for the case fans and plug them on SYS_FAN (controlling the speed via DC voltage in BIOS) and leave my CPU fan alone in the CPU_Header?

I'd do this since FH-10 will run your 3-pin fans at 100% regardless.

3-pin fan pinout:
+12V
ground
sense (for RPM read)

4-pin fan pinout:
+12V
ground
sense (for RPM read)
PWM (for PWM control)

4-pin (PWM) fans work where there is full +12V sent to the fan at all times and 4th pin is used to control the speed according to the PWM signal. If a fan doesn't have 4th pin (for PWM control), FH-10 doesn't understand it and still sends full +12V to the fans, making them run at 100% speed.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
should I just put FH-10 aside and buy Y splitters for the case fans and plug them on SYS_FAN (controlling the speed via DC voltage in BIOS) and leave my CPU fan alone in the CPU_Header?

I'd do this since FH-10 will run your 3-pin fans at 100% regardless.

3-pin fan pinout:
+12V
ground
sense (for RPM read)

4-pin fan pinout:
+12V
ground
sense (for RPM read)
PWM (for PWM control)

4-pin (PWM) fans work where there is full +12V sent to the fan at all times and 4th pin is used to control the speed according to the PWM signal. If a fan doesn't have 4th pin (for PWM control), FH-10 doesn't understand it and still sends full +12V to the fans, making them run at 100% speed.

Reactions: ghiga
Solution