Deepcool Gamer Storm Assassin II Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

firefoxx04

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
More heat-pipes than the Noctua and it still gets beat in cooling performance? The Noctua is a touch louder but thats no big deal. The D15 I have is plenty quiet.

Why only 3 coolers to compare? Surely the Phanteks dual tower (with 140mm fans) would have been a great competitor here considering the price point is closer to the Deepcool cooler than the Noctua is.

InvalidError

Titan

Its RPM is 270 lower, that probably explains most of the handicap.

It might be interesting to compare these while using the same fans on both, to see how much the heatsink's structure affects performance. Even better would be a constant air flow rate test to take fans completely out of the equation.

DouglasThurman

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2006
The 3 pound thing doesn't matter when you mount the motherboard horizontally. This thing fits fine in my Sentey ss6-240 case. I can overclock the AMD Athlon 2 x4 860k to 4.2GHz without hiccups.

InvalidError

Titan

How many people still buy full-height horizontal desktop cases deep enough to fit a 212 these days? Nearly everyone uses towers and most popular "pizza box" type systems use either half-height expansion slots or angle risers to keep height down.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Perhaps I left out "with" and meant to say it was agreeable to competing products?
-Fixed, thanks :D
Because the D14 and its Phanteks doppelganger were reviewed on the previous platform.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/LGA-2011-i7-3960X-Air-Overclocking,3130-11.html
You should contact News Man Niels and see if his friends at Cryorig would like to send one. Or maybe I should.
You're both mostly right :)

thebigt42

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009
So how does the "Deepcool Gamer Storm Assassin II" make my games faster?
Or did the marketing division of the sirius cybernetics corporation just add "Gamer" to the name make people but it?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Nope, most of the top coolers have flatter bases with encapsulated heat pipes. The primary benefits of direct-contact heat pipes are lower weight and lower cost.
+1
Lower temperatures assist overclocking.

meat_loaf

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2011

Well i do prefer lighter weight, like mine Hyper 212. I don't want my mobo bending and start breaking ic's

Amdlova

Distinguished
my mother board will bleend blah blah blah. never see that =) i think you guys need a girlfriend and leave your case alone big air cooler don`t destroy your board. movin your case yes!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
We had a System Builder Marathon article discussing several boards that failed after installing a big cooler, and I'm tired of linking it so I'm going to ask you to prove that it doesn't happen.

meat_loaf

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2011

He is obviously a troll with zippo knowledge.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

I'll admit it's rare though since I've only seen it with a specific cooler/board combo.

InvalidError

Titan

You don't need to see a board actually break to get a little nervous just from seeing how much the board flexes when you relieve the weight and ease it back down. This cannot be good for BGAs and other surface-mount packages along the bend radius.

Status
Not open for further replies.