Deepcool Gamer Storm Captain 240 Liquid CPU Cooler Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

PDO

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2008
Isn't that the way you are supposed to, or are you telling me that I've been doing wrong all this time.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The factory thermal paste? We didn't use it. We took a photo of it and scraped it off so that wouldn't be a factor in thermal measurement. All coolers are tested with Arctic MX-4 as an equalizer (it performs well and is re-useable when fresh).

Blueberries

Reputable
Dec 3, 2014
I wish companies would stop branding radiators, memory, etc with "gamer" names. How stupid is that? It's not a keyboard, or a headset, or a video card, or a monitor, or... you get my point; the design of these items doesn't change, you always want the best thermal dissipation from a radiator. Calling it "sniper," "headshot," "nightvision," "dragons," is so tacky and unattractive, especially if it comes with an equally as tacky design or heatsink. If anything it turns me away from their product because I assume "Oh, this is in no way marketed towards professionals. We can get away with a shoddier product and nobody will notice!"

SuperVeloce

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2011
I think that those deepcool fans are the weak point here. Sure fans from DC looks and feels like a quality product to the touch (for the most part), performance and noise is subpar for a price I usually bought them for.

ppalm

Reputable
May 28, 2015
Normally, I'm not one to care about looks, but that thing looks freakin' sweet when lit up sitting there on top of the CPU. I'm a low-profile black-case no-window kind of guy, so pragmatics win for me (Noctua) but this cooler makes the CPU look like a little reactor. Pretty snazzy.

BuffaloChuck

Reputable
Apr 18, 2015
I wish the author would tell us what the SOURCE of the noise is. Is it the fan blades (therefore anyone interested in swapping out fans can experiment) or is it the OKLAHOMA effect (wind comes sweeping the radiator blades - I think that's how the song goes).

As for looks, I'd never give a hoot. Who spends time oohing and ahhing, getting physically 'excited' by computer parts?!! Sheesh..."Do something WITH the computer, don't just stare at it's purty lights."

logainofhades

Titan

Umm many people care about looks. If they didn't we wouldn't have cases with side windows. It is no different than a person getting physically excited by the looks of a car.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
It's a whizzing, not a whooshing, so the fans are definitely making a whiz. Better than taking one I suppose, given that it's hanging over a motherboard and graphics card.

JFerg09

Reputable
Nov 30, 2015
Picked this up for 80 bucks today, plus a mail in rebate, i hope it is worth it, as some reviews i read about it said the pump quit after a few months.

Status
Not open for further replies.