Deepcool good PSU ?

Solution
Speaking "in general" .... brand names are pretty much a useless indicator of PSU quality or performance. Does Corsair make great PSUs ? No, they don't ... they buy them from OEMs and resell them; some of them are excellent, some of them are mediocre and some of them are pretty crappy. The same can be said of most brands.

Even model lines can not be relied upon as a quality indicator as often the model line may be split between 2 or more OEMs or platforms ... the HX 750 and 850 from Corsair were great, the 1000 and 1050, not.

Speaking specifically, jonnyguru gave the "Deepcool Quanta DQ750 750W" a 9.0 rating on both build quality and performance. The Quanta model line is made by CWT which also makes some of Corsair's HX series, RM...
Speaking "in general" .... brand names are pretty much a useless indicator of PSU quality or performance. Does Corsair make great PSUs ? No, they don't ... they buy them from OEMs and resell them; some of them are excellent, some of them are mediocre and some of them are pretty crappy. The same can be said of most brands.

Even model lines can not be relied upon as a quality indicator as often the model line may be split between 2 or more OEMs or platforms ... the HX 750 and 850 from Corsair were great, the 1000 and 1050, not.

Speaking specifically, jonnyguru gave the "Deepcool Quanta DQ750 750W" a 9.0 rating on both build quality and performance. The Quanta model line is made by CWT which also makes some of Corsair's HX series, RM / RMi / RMx series, HXi series, many of which are excellent PSUs. The Corsair HX 1000 oft described on tier lists as a pretty good PSU also got a 9 from jonnyguru on performance.

In short, neither brand name, model line, or even model number to a lesser extent, can be used reliably as an indicator of quality and performance. In the model number instance, I say this because vendors will sometimes switch OEMs / platforms but don't change the model designation making any reviews you may have read on the PSU from the old OEM / platform non applicable. Here's the skinny on the DQ 750 ... if that's the one you're looking at and a passive fan mode is not a big issue, i see no reason to shy away from this unit.

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story6&reid=371

Deepcool's new to the power supply market, so I expected some hiccups in the Quanta 750's journey here today. However, these all manifested in relatively harmless ways; like the lack of the advanced fan control modes promised, too many Molexes, not enough SATA connectors, and a missing user guide. The DQ750 is as worthy a first attempt at a power supply as any I have ever seen. Deepcool wants to do power supplies properly, people, if this unit is any indication.

The Good:

no problem passing forty degrees at full power
excellent minor rail ripple suppression
very good voltage regulation and 12V ripple handling
ribbon cabling
right angle Molexes

The Bad:

no semi-fanless operation as promised by the website
no fan delay on power off as as promised by the box

The Mediocre:

no manual
not enough SATA connectors

Solution

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

Excellent summary. I will say one thing just to add, the exception to this is PSUs sold by their manufacturer, specifically Seasonic, SuperFlower, and FSP. Seasonic and SuperFlower are always excellent no matter the model, FSP is generally good as well.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

The list doesn't cover every PSU on the market, and having a consistent knowledge of models helps if you're in the store and they maybe don't have very many that are on the list (which does happen especially in non US countries).

According to your post 2, that tier you say that Deepcool is a bad PSU, something that jonnyguru review contradicts. Like brand names or model lines tier lists oft prove unreliable as an entire model line will be placed on a tier list based upon the review of one model and then the other models prove of unequal quality. The Corsair HX series again is one that has widely varying quality but of sits in the top tiers even the many sizes don't quite measure up.

Though I agree again "in a general sense", I can't say "always" as Seasonic, for example has a pretty high RMA rate.

http://www.hardware.fr/articles/934-3/alimentations.html

- be quiet! 0,62% (contre 0,84%)
- Zalman 0,74% (contre 1,72%)
- FSP Group 0,82% (contre 0,83%)
- Corsair 1,55% (contre 1,32%)
- Cooler Master 1,65% (contre 1,51%)
- Seasonic 2,10% (contre 2,31%)
- Akasa 2,56% (contre 2,97%)

The Interesting part of this is that if you look at individual model line failures, Seasonic has very few entries... which begs the question how do they get such a high overall rate w/o having many entries on the individual model lines ... here's the individual units w/ highest RMA rates

- 10,00% Corsair AX1200i 80PLUS Platinum
- 6,80% Akasa Venom Power 1000 80PLUS Gold
- 4,59% Corsair CX750 80PLUS Bronze
- 3,23% FSP RAIDER S750 750W 80PLUS Silver
- 3,20% Akasa Venom Power 750

500 - 550 watts :
- 2,79% Akasa Essential Plus 550
- 2,02% Cooler Master G550M 80PLUS Bronze
- 1,85% FSP HEXA 500
- 1,87% Corsair Builder Series VS550
- 1,75% Corsair CS550 80PLUS Gold
- 1,59% Zalman ZM-500GT 80PLUS
- 1,52% be quiet! Alimentation Pure Power L8-530W CM 80PLUS Bronze
- 1,31% Cooler Master B-Series 500W
- 1,25% be quiet! Alimentation System Power 7 500 W 80PLUS Silver (bulk)
- 1,09% Corsair CX500M 80PLUS Bronze
- 1,07% Corsair CX500 80PLUS Bronze
- 1,02% be quiet! Alimentation Pure Power L8 500W 80PLUS Bronze
- 0,90% FSP RAIDER S550 550W 80PLUS Silver
- 0,73% Akasa Venom Power 550
- 0,57% Cooler Master G500 Series 80PLUS Bronze

600 - 660 watts :
- 3,06% Cooler Master G650M 80PLUS Bronze
- 2,36% Seasonic P-660 Platinum 80PLUS Platinum
- 1,94% be quiet! Alimentation Pure Power L8-630W CM 80PLUS Bronze
- 1,79% Corsair Builder Series VS650
- 1,69% FSP RAIDER S650 650W 80PLUS Silver
- 1,67% Seasonic X-650 (SS-650KM3) 80PLUS Gold
- 1,43% Corsair CS650 80PLUS Gold
- 1,09% Corsair RM650 80PLUS Gold
- 0,86% Corsair CX600M 80PLUS Bronze
- 0,82% be quiet! Alimentation Pure Power L8 600W 80PLUS Bronze
- 0,73% Corsair CX600 80PLUS Bronze
- 0,60% be quiet! Alimentation System Power 7 600 W 80PLUS Silver (bulk)
- 0,28% Cooler Master B-Series 600W

DasHotShot

Honorable
Valid points gentlemen...I try to keep it very very simple and suggest post 2013/14 EVGA G2/GS models, Superflower models and Seasonic models...which is by no means a very wide selection nor cheap in most cases...but pretty much bullet proof on reliability... (Out of 20+ builds I have seen ONE dead EVGA PSU...and even 1 in 20 isn't anywhere near how rarely those actually fail)

I think the tear list is a good guide in many cases but it doesn't address some things, I agree. Carry on!

I think it has more to do with the subjective nature of people. You have generations of families swearing by Dodge, Ford, Chevy pickup trucks insisting that their brand is best and the other two are garbage. This is not based upon tests, reliability or other statistical data but because grandpa had a Chevy once and it broke and Uncle Ben had a Ford and it lasted for 220k miles.

A teenage builds a PSU with an AsRock bpard, EVGA GFX card and Corsair PSU and "it booted" ...so for the next 15 years, those brands are great... and in many cases, no performance data, failure rates, published reviews, user reviews, etc will swat them.

The same is true of sports teams ... we still have fans arguing that Tom Brady / Patriots didn't cheat , arguing that wen they brought the balls inside and they got warm, most of them got close to correct pressure. Still the fact that both teas played in the same stadium under the same conditions and there was no problem at all with any of the balls supplied by the other side is ignored.

And while that's a part of it, by far the bigger part is it is getting the information. I recently saw it argued that 1 PSU being considered was great and the other two stunk but all three were made by the same OEM and on the same platform. So while there might have been some slight differences, all three were essentially the same PSU. For the most part, the necessary information to reliably create a reliable tier list just doesn't exist and even where it does, we can not always assume that the creators of the lists were able to track it down or that it hasn't changed.

I think they are worth looking at to narrow down your choices, but I wouldn't recommend making a final decision until reading a detailed review from jonnyguru, hardwaresecrets or techpwerup

DasHotShot

Honorable

Or so you say...you know you have official reps from most manufacturers lurking around here too, yes? Furthermore...where does that one user get his info from?

Jet fuel can't melt steal beams, and you can't seem to handle my memes...

Just ignore me man, you gave good advice ;)

gondo

Distinguished
Toms Hardware has a chart somewhere indicating which PSUs are in which quality tier and who is the actual OEM manufacturer. Most are either Superflower, Seasonic, or Delta.

For in depth reviews check jonnyguru.com. The deepcools arn't bad per say if you get a very good deal. But definitely 2nd tier. If you're looking for something half decent with a not too crazy price point the EVGA G2 is always a recommended PSU. Again sales can make or brake a decision. PSUs of a similar quality and wattage usually hover around the same price point so if you're going to argue 1 over the other because of a $10 price difference on a $100 PSU it's nuts.

But a sale can make 1 PSU $30 less than an equivalent one. I usually shop based on availabilty at the store your using, I'll pick full modular over semi, and price. If there is an equivalent Corsair to an EVGA G2 on sale for $30 less I may be tempted to buy that instead. It all depends on availability and prices at the time of purchase. Maybe a nice Seasonic is on sale or in stock. Just check the jonnyguru.com reviews and compare what's available at your store in your price range and make a decision.

That's another reason to take jonnygurus overall rating w/ a grain of salt as value is factored in ... I just look at Performance and Build Quality ratings as value is based upon price and price changes. And yes, sales are big.... even tho the EVGA B2 750 wouldn't otherwise catch my eye by the ratings alone, the fact that one can usually get it for $45 makes it a popular choice over very good 520 - 650 watt units which are usually more expensive.

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/evga-power-supply-110b20750vr
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story6&reid=393

It gets the same 9.0 performance rating as the deepcool but edges it on build quality (9.5 to 9.0)

I usually ignore the conclusion page altogether and just look at the review. For one thing, terrible garbage units get a 2, bad units get an 7-8, and good to great units get a 9. There's not really a good inbetween. Also, on Jonnyguru, there are lots of cases where the voltage regulation % is miscalculated, or the ripple so I've found out it's just best to look at the hot and cold test pages yourself.

Yes, I post the results of the conclusion page as most folks don't want to invest the time in actually reading a few pages before buying ... hence the attraction of "tier lists"

For serious and reliable overclocking, I look for a total of 20.0 ( 10.0 / 10.0 on Build Quality and Performance) before reading the articles in full and making final decision

For moderate overclocking, I want 18.5 - 19.5 ....

For everything else, 17.5 - 18.5 ...

Of course going high end is not going to help you as much as it could if you don't carry that down the line ...

-Is MoBo VRM / Power Delivery circuitry in the same class ?
-Is GFX VRM / Power Delivery circuitry in the same class ?
-Is power quality "at the wall" of adequate quality or otherwise conditioned and protected ?

These days, I tend to stick to Tomshardware or Techpowerup reviews. Jonnyguru reviews may be very quick to read, but Aris tests so many important aspects of power supplies, such as transient response, and AC_LOSS to PWR_OK time as well as PWR_OK loss to inactive_DC time. And all that other good stuff.

I tend to stick with Tomshardware and Techpowerup PSU reviews. Aris checks out so much more stuff, like transient response, 1500 some crossload combinations, EMI release (on TPU), AC_LOSS to PWR_OK time, PWR_OK to INACTIVE_DC time, etc. Jonnyguru reviews are nice because you can read them quickly, but the reviews Aris does show so many other things (often bad things) that a Jonnyguru review would miss out on.

For exmaple, the EVGA 550 G2 drops the PWR_OK signal at 10.8V. That's terrible.

The THG tests themselves are worth looking at but the conclusions / ranking are too much influenced by the nature of a site which relies so heavily on advertising income.... and since most folks aren't willing to invest the time in reading the entire review, skipping right to the conclusions page, I'm hesitant to point there.

If something is tested and turns out to be real stinker, I want the reviewer to say so and say so plainly ... while my mother taught me "If you don't have anything nice to say ... " is good life advice, that's not what I want from a review. While JG for example closes with the good, the bad and the mediocre, THG ends just w/ the good

Corsair's CX500 is rated for 20 W less, but at a retail price of $60, it is also less expensive. Apart from its lower maximum output, the CX500 loses modular cable management compared to Cooler Master's offering. And ready availability in the U.S. means we'd be more inclined to favor Corsair's offering. After all, you still get a pair of auxiliary PCI Express power connectors, along with quality that leaves almost nothing to be desired. Workmanship, interior construction, sound level, and efficiency are all good. The CX500 would be close to perfect, actually, if there wasn't an issue with its short hold-up time. All in all, this is decent budget-oriented PSU.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

They just need to add "If you're running a basic system with no discrete GPU" and its good lol