default action on folder click

XP Home Ver. 2002 SP2

OPEN is no longer the default action when clicking on a folder. I have to
right click the folder and choose OPEN from the list. How can I make OPEN the
default action again?

Background: I added an action for the File Folder file type that prints out
a listing of the folder. The action at the top of the list of File Folder
actions became the new default. I did not select Set Default. There is no
Open action in that list. I would like to keep the new Print Listing action
but want Open to be the default again.

Jo

Tom, See this link
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;321379
See the "Edit the registry" section. This will solve your problem.

"Tom Ahasic" wrote:

> XP Home Ver. 2002 SP2
>
> OPEN is no longer the default action when clicking on a folder. I have to
> right click the folder and choose OPEN from the list. How can I make OPEN the
> default action again?
>
> Background: I added an action for the File Folder file type that prints out
> a listing of the folder. The action at the top of the list of File Folder
> actions became the new default. I did not select Set Default. There is no
> Open action in that list. I would like to keep the new Print Listing action
> but want Open to be the default again.

Tom,

This problem occurs when you alter the "Drive" / "File Folders" entries via
File Types dialog, to add a "Command Prompt here" or "Print Directory"
feature for folders. (example)

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321379
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321186

Resolution:

Click Start/Run and type this command to fix this problem:
(Tip from David Candy)

regsvr32 /i shell32.dll

-or-

To fix this manually via registry: