Default duplication of My Documents and My Pictures in Mus..

Files and folders saved in "My Docments" or "My Pictures" are duplicated in 2
other locations; Pauls Docs & Doc & Settings\Paul\My Documents. Furthermore
all default folders have music tasks related options in the left hand viewing
pane and the music note watermark in bottom R corner, be it written docs, or
pictures. The problem baffles me a fraction further as the remote keyboard
hot keys take me to these defaults and defy attempts to change.
Where should I be reading up to get a grasp on managing my folders?
How can I stop the duplication of My Documents and My Picture folders?
Any action taken in one manifests in the others-including deletion.
Thanks and regards.
Our thoughts are with you at ground zero this weekend.

They are mirrors, not duplicates. This is part of the design. What you do in
the real folder (the one under doc & settings) will be reflected under the
mirrored ones.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Paul - Melboure, Oz." <PaulMelboureOz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:73D5454F-1844-4272-965B-95050EA3F645@microsoft.com...
> Files and folders saved in "My Docments" or "My Pictures" are duplicated
> in 2
> other locations; Pauls Docs & Doc & Settings\Paul\My Documents.
> Furthermore
> all default folders have music tasks related options in the left hand
> viewing
> pane and the music note watermark in bottom R corner, be it written docs,
> or
> pictures. The problem baffles me a fraction further as the remote keyboard
> hot keys take me to these defaults and defy attempts to change.
> Where should I be reading up to get a grasp on managing my folders?
> How can I stop the duplication of My Documents and My Picture folders?
> Any action taken in one manifests in the others-including deletion.
> Thanks and regards.
> Our thoughts are with you at ground zero this weekend.

Pepe

Distinguished
May 1, 2003

Another Newbie question:

So can I delete all the mirror paths or links and start or build a new
mirror list?

TIA

> They are mirrors, not duplicates. This is part of the design. What you do
in
> the real folder (the one under doc & settings) will be reflected under the
> mirrored ones.

Hi,

No, not really, they are built into the system.

--

"Pepe" <1965TR@wsc.net> wrote in message
> Another Newbie question:
>
> So can I delete all the mirror paths or links and start or build a new
> mirror list?
>
> TIA

>> They are mirrors, not duplicates. This is part of the design. What you do
> in
>> the real folder (the one under doc & settings) will be reflected under
>> the
>> mirrored ones.

Pepe

Distinguished
May 1, 2003

OH! Well, I misstated the question. Can I delete just the files so that the
system will recreate the mirror links on the new files?

TIA again
> Hi,
>
> No, not really, they are built into the system.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Pepe" <1965TR@wsc.net> wrote in message
> > Another Newbie question:
> >
> > So can I delete all the mirror paths or links and start or build a new
> > mirror list?
> >
> > TIA
> >

> > "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" <rick@mvps.org> wrote in message
> >> They are mirrors, not duplicates. This is part of the design. What you
do
> > in
> >> the real folder (the one under doc & settings) will be reflected under
> >> the
> >> mirrored ones.

Hi Pepe,

You still miss the point. The files / folders reside in a single area, only
the pointers to the files are in two or more areas. So there is no need to
recreate the mirror links.

--
Ramesh, MS-MVP XP Shell/UI
http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k

OH! Well, I misstated the question. Can I delete just the files so that the
system will recreate the mirror links on the new files?

TIA again
> Hi,
>
> No, not really, they are built into the system.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Pepe" <1965TR@wsc.net> wrote in message
> > Another Newbie question:
> >
> > So can I delete all the mirror paths or links and start or build a new
> > mirror list?
> >
> > TIA
> >

> > "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" <rick@mvps.org> wrote in message
> >> They are mirrors, not duplicates. This is part of the design. What you
do
> > in
> >> the real folder (the one under doc & settings) will be reflected under
> >> the
> >> mirrored ones.

Pepe

Distinguished
May 1, 2003

Thanks again for your patience, but, I would like to clean up the list
of paths (links) that are in the My Network Places folder. I have
reorganized
my laptop, external hard drive and a network pc. I want to delete all of the
list
and as I used the new paths and file locations I wonder or hope that the
list
will be recreated. Is this true and is it OK? Again thanks

> Hi Pepe,
>
> You still miss the point. The files / folders reside in a single area,
only
> the pointers to the files are in two or more areas. So there is no need to
> recreate the mirror links.
>
> --
> Ramesh, MS-MVP XP Shell/UI
> http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k
>

> "Pepe" <1965TR@wsc.net> wrote in message
> OH! Well, I misstated the question. Can I delete just the files so that
the
> system will recreate the mirror links on the new files?
>
> TIA again
> > Hi,
> >
> > No, not really, they are built into the system.
> >
> > --
> > Best of Luck,

> > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> > Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
> > www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
> > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
> >
> > "Pepe" <1965TR@wsc.net> wrote in message
> > > Another Newbie question:
> > >
> > > So can I delete all the mirror paths or links and start or build a new
> > > mirror list?
> > >
> > > TIA
> > >

> > > "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" <rick@mvps.org> wrote in message
> do
> > > in

Pepe,

Where do the links point to? Right-click Delete, or type Nethood in Start,
Run and you can delete the entries from that folder.

--
Ramesh, MS-MVP XP Shell/UI
http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k

Thanks again for your patience, but, I would like to clean up the list
of paths (links) that are in the My Network Places folder. I have
reorganized
my laptop, external hard drive and a network pc. I want to delete all of the
list
and as I used the new paths and file locations I wonder or hope that the
list
will be recreated. Is this true and is it OK? Again thanks

> Hi Pepe,
>
> You still miss the point. The files / folders reside in a single area,
only
> the pointers to the files are in two or more areas. So there is no need to
> recreate the mirror links.
>
> --
> Ramesh, MS-MVP XP Shell/UI
> http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k
>

> "Pepe" <1965TR@wsc.net> wrote in message
> OH! Well, I misstated the question. Can I delete just the files so that
the
> system will recreate the mirror links on the new files?
>
> TIA again
> > Hi,
> >
> > No, not really, they are built into the system.
> >
> > --
> > Best of Luck,

> > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> > Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
> > www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
> > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
> >
> > "Pepe" <1965TR@wsc.net> wrote in message
> > > Another Newbie question:
> > >
> > > So can I delete all the mirror paths or links and start or build a new
> > > mirror list?
> > >
> > > TIA
> > >

> > > "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" <rick@mvps.org> wrote in message
> do
> > > in

Pepe

Distinguished
May 1, 2003

Hi Ramesh, the links point to different drives and files on my home network
that
I share with two desk tops, a laptop and an external HD. A few of them do
not work
because I moved folders to other HDs.

If I delete as you say will the system recreate new links during the normal
use in the My Network Places?

Thanks

> Pepe,
>
> Where do the links point to? Right-click Delete, or type Nethood in Start,
> Run and you can delete the entries from that folder.
>
> --
> Ramesh, MS-MVP XP Shell/UI
> http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k

No. The link for dead shares should not be recreated.

--
Ramesh, MS-MVP XP Shell/UI
http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k

Hi Ramesh, the links point to different drives and files on my home network
that
I share with two desk tops, a laptop and an external HD. A few of them do
not work
because I moved folders to other HDs.

If I delete as you say will the system recreate new links during the normal
use in the My Network Places?

Thanks

> Pepe,
>
> Where do the links point to? Right-click Delete, or type Nethood in Start,
> Run and you can delete the entries from that folder.
>
> --
> Ramesh, MS-MVP XP Shell/UI
> http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k

Pepe