Default gateway not avalible upon startup

Jun 29, 2018
Hello,

for a few months I've been having a problem with my network connection. Every time I start up this Windows 10 PC, it won't connect to the net automatically. In order to connect I have to disable and re-enable my network device or run the troubleshooter. If I run the troubleshooter it displays an error "Default gateway is not available". Net works correctly after I fix the problem. I would like to fix the problem permanently though...

So I am using a wired connection. At first this wasn't happening (when I installed windows 10) but it started around 3 months ago. In the beginning it was just taking my pc longer to connect (like 10 sec after boot). Then it just stopped connecting.

Things I have already tried:
-reset network connection
-reinstall device in device manager
-update drivers
-install different version of drivers
-some cmd commands

I would really appreciate if someone helped me out :(. I really want to avoid formating my pc. I am using motherboard ASRock H170M Pro4S.

P.S.: I actually can't see network connections next to the clock (it is greyed out if I want to turn it on in the settings). The troubleshooter says that there's a issue but it can't resolve it so it suggests a network reset (which I have already tried and it didn't help).

Be sure none of the power saving stuff is turned on in the bios for the network adapter. Windows might also have some of that powersaving stuff.

You could try a static IP,gateway, dns in the network ipv4 settings. It should work with DHCP but this would ensure you actually had a gateway. I suspect the gateway message is a indicator of a different problem but it generally does not hurt to use static ip and gateway.

Jun 29, 2018

How exactly do I know which IP and gateway to use in ipv4 settings? Do I use the one from ip config?

That would mostly work. This risk you take is the router assign the same ip to a different device. You are better off using a IP that is outside the range used by DHCP on your router but I suspect you do not know how to find that in your router either.

You can in general use high ip addresses since the dhcp assigns from the bottom. If your router gateway is 192.168.0.1 you could likely use 192.168.0.250 for your pc ip address

G

New router may be the answer - - changed my mid-priced Netgear one for a top-end Billion model and all those network connectivity glitches (both WiFi & LAN) are a thing of the past.

Jun 29, 2018
So I've been in the bios and I didn't find any network power saving options.

I haven't been able to set my static IP either. I've copied everything from my ipconfig but it just won't connect. My default gateway is 93.103.0.1. So would 93. 103. 0. 254. be a valid IP address?

Also I am connected directly to the modem which is from my ISP and I don't think I can use any other. I do have a router in my house and 2 computers are connected to it. None of them have the problem I have :/

Those are public ips. you shouldn't post those. you need a router nothing should be plugged into your modem except a router. have all your devices get their info via dhcp.