1st PC :
MSI B450M-Pro VDH Max
AMD Ryzen 5 3400G (2933 MHz Max)
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) 3000 MHz DDR4

2nd PC :
MSI A320M-A Pro Max
AMD Athlon 200GE (2666 MHz Max)
Crucial 8GB (2 x 4GB) 2666 MHz DDR4

When I opened the UEFI, the first PC runs at 2133 MHz and 2nd PC runs at 2666 MHz. Why the 2nd PC runs at maximum capacity by default and 1st PC much lesser? Please Clarify.

Solution
The Crucial may be true 2666mhz RAM. Conforming to JEDEC standards for that speed. While the Corsair has an SPD Speed of 2133Mhz. Basically its native speed but has a tested speed of 3000Mhz. The XMP speed it can overclock to. Assuming the motherboard will work with the XMP profile speed and timing.
The Crucial may be true 2666mhz RAM. Conforming to JEDEC standards for that speed. While the Corsair has an SPD Speed of 2133Mhz. Basically its native speed but has a tested speed of 3000Mhz. The XMP speed it can overclock to. Assuming the motherboard will work with the XMP profile speed and timing.

Solution
If I use A-XMP profile, does that means I am Overclocking or is Overclocking a different concept?
Yes, it is overclocking. But it is overclocking to specs tested and validated by the RAM manufacturer. Although there is no guarantee by the motherboard manufacturer. That the motherboard will accept the custom timings and work. Which you won't know until you try. If XMP isn't accepted. You'll either have to accept the lower SPD settings, return the RAM and try something else or try to program custom voltages, timings and speed yourself.

I'm not sure if it started out as an easy way to overclock or a way for RAM manufacturers cut corners and sell faster RAM for less money.

TRENDING THREADS