Defective Board?

I have an Albatron PX875P board and was installing 2x256MB of OCZ PC4000
Gold memory today and found that, no matter what the configuration, (1
stick, both sticks, single channel, dual channel) if there was a stick in
DIMM3 the board wouldn't post and I'd get the one long repeating beep. Is
there any explanation for that other than a defect in the motherboard?

"wooducoodu" <wooducoodu> wrote in message
> I have an Albatron PX875P board and was installing 2x256MB of OCZ PC4000
> Gold memory today and found that, no matter what the configuration, (1
> stick, both sticks, single channel, dual channel) if there was a stick in
> DIMM3 the board wouldn't post and I'd get the one long repeating beep. Is
> there any explanation for that other than a defect in the motherboard?

You'd have to read the manual to get the answer to this one. Many
motherboards only allow certain combinations of chips installed in certain
slots. It could be that ONE of your OCZ boards is only supported in certain
slots, and TWO of them are only supported in a combination of certain slots.
I had one motherboard recently that would allow matched pairs, but only in 1
and 3, or 2 and 4. That's just one example. Maybe your memory controller
chip can't deal with a single board in slot 3, and isn't expecting to see a
second one in slot 3, unless the first one is in slot X. -Dave

it doesn't say anything about only using certain dimms with one stick of ram
installed but yes for two sticks and dual channel they have to be in either
1 & 3 or 2 & 4. if i install only 1 stick in dimm 3 or install 2 sticks in
dimms 1 & 3 the board wont post and i get the beep. 1 stick in 1, 2 or 4
works and 2 sticks in 2 & 4 works.

"wooducoodu" <wooducoodu@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> it doesn't say anything about only using certain dimms with one stick of
ram
> installed but yes for two sticks and dual channel they have to be in
either
> 1 & 3 or 2 & 4. if i install only 1 stick in dimm 3 or install 2 sticks in
> dimms 1 & 3 the board wont post and i get the beep. 1 stick in 1, 2 or 4
> works and 2 sticks in 2 & 4 works.

In that case, there is something wrong with the dimm slot. Use a flashlight
and/or magnifying glass to compare all the connectors on slot 3 with the
connectors on slot 4. You might even be able to see the problem
ourself. -Dave