[SOLVED] Defective CPU, ram, or motherboard?

joeacejr15

Reputable
Jul 11, 2018
Problem: No video output on brand new computer I built. I never adjusted anything in the bios because I couldn't get any display out of it.

Known good tested on old computer: Video card and power supply.

What happens: Fans spin up fast, slow down, spin up fast, slow down, over and over. Maybe its stuck in reboot cycle? Installed a speaker on the motherboard for beeps. no beeps when ram is removed, and no beeps whatsoever at all.

What I tried: Tried installing the video card and power supply in my old computer, and both are working. Tried only using 1 ram stick at a time, still no video.

Components of new computer:

Silverstone Ml07b
Corsair mp510
Ryzen 9 3900x
Gigabyte x570i motherboard
Msi gaming x rtx 2070 super
Corsair vengeance lpx ddr4 3000 cl15 16gb x 2
Scythe shuriken lp cooler with noctua industrial fan on it.

Solution

joeacejr15

Reputable
Jul 11, 2018
Not the problem but wow you got some crap RAM to run with a high end CPU. If you return that RAM I would do so and pick up some Gskill Trident NEO 3600mhz CAS 16.

PCPartPicker Part List

Memory: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory ($169.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $169.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-20 02:01 EST-0500
I got the ram that I got because I hear anything over 3200 is hit and miss. Plus I like corsair. Plus it pretty much works in everything. Plus I need low profile ram. I will overclock it to see if I can hit a higher frequency while tuning the timings. Maybe il get 3466 at cl16 maybe il get 3600 at cl 16 or 17.

I got the ram that I got because I hear anything over 3200 is hit and miss. Plus I like corsair. Plus it pretty much works in everything. Plus I need low profile ram. I will overclock it to see if I can hit a higher frequency while tuning the timings. Maybe il get 3466 at cl16 maybe il get 3600 at cl 16 or 17.
Well for low profile ram you are really out of options besides Corsair. I have no problem with them but gskill is the best. You are leaving FPS on the table though pairing 3000mhz with a 3900x.

Actually rechecked and it’s a 5% drop in FPS. And I’ve never heard about Higher speed RAM being hit or miss unless that’s a Corsair problem. Even intel benefits from DDR 3600, which I use without any issue. Now the RAM I linked I know 100% is MADE for Ryzen systems. Corsair, who knows.

Also I’m not certain that CPU cooler is going to cut it. Best I could find was it cooling a 6700k intel in a review under load at 65c and that CPU uses about 100 watts less power under load. Just generally not a great idea to take the biggest CPUs available and put them in a tiny build.

joeacejr15

Reputable
Jul 11, 2018
Well for low profile ram you are really out of options besides Corsair. I have no problem with them but gskill is the best. You are leaving FPS on the table though pairing 3000mhz with a 3900x.
I forgot to say here that the problem is solved. I simply had to wait for a minute for everything to initialize after digging into the motherboard and unplugging the battery for 10 minutes. About the ram, can't I just overclock it to 3200 or higher and adjust the voltage and cas latency?

I forgot to say here that the problem is solved. I simply had to wait for a minute for everything to initialize after digging into the motherboard and unplugging the battery for 10 minutes. About the ram, can't I just overclock it to 3200 or higher and adjust the voltage and cas latency?
You can try but not guaranteed. I found your case, looks like it’s gonna be toasty in there. Still interested in what power supply you are using.

joeacejr15

Reputable
Jul 11, 2018
You can try but not guaranteed. I found your case, looks like it’s gonna be toasty in there. Still interested in what power supply you are using.
Corsair sf600 for the absolute silence, because other sff units, especially flexatx, are very loud. In fact it is a little toasty inside the case. 50 degrees Celsius idle, then again I have the fan curve manually set to silent. Stress testing all 12 cores 24 threads it is in the high 80's. I have the CPU fan maxed out when im doing that. I have a noctua industrial 120mm fan which replaced the stock 120mm fan that came with the scythe lp cooler. I did not want to take any chances so thats what I did. Simply gaming it is not too much higher over idle, because the fan is a little louder.

Corsair sf600 for the absolute silence, because other sff units, especially flexatx, are very loud. In fact it is a little toasty inside the case. 50 degrees Celsius idle, then again I have the fan curve manually set to silent. Stress testing all 12 cores 24 threads it is in the high 80's. I have the CPU fan maxed out when im doing that. I have a noctua industrial 120mm fan which replaced the stock 120mm fan that came with the scythe lp cooler. I did not want to take any chances so thats what I did. Simply gaming it is not too much higher over idle, because the fan is a little louder.
Doesn’t sound too bad then.

joeacejr15

Reputable
Jul 11, 2018
Well with a small form factor and top end parts it’s gonna be louder to move all that air and keep things cool. My system is pretty loud because I like it to run as cool as possible. When I’m gaming with headphones on I don’t notice at all.
That case that Linus from Linus tech tips built that 18 core cpu system in, I probably should have built my pc in that case, but I wanted it to fit in a small cubicle in my room in our camper so I went with the ML07B.