Defective DIMM slot on m/b - how likely?

douglasl

Reputable
May 25, 2015
I get system crashes and memtest86 errors when I have 4 DIMMs installed, even if I rotate the modules. (That is, the problem does NOT seem to be a single bad memory module.) No matter which module is in which of the 4 slots, the memtest86 errors are all in the same narrow range - 19.968 GB to 20.0923 GB of 232 GB.

If it's not a defective DIMM, how likely is a defective DIMM slot on the motherboard?

Yes, the memtest86 site asks, "Why do I get errors only when testing RAM modules together, and not when individually tested?" . But of the two suggested reasons, my 4 modules are NOT mismatched and they ARE on the ASUS approved memory list.

I want 32 GB for graphics. So I'm thinking of going from 4x8 to 2x16, since everything works fine in slots 1 & 2.

I appreciate your comments or suggestions! Thank you,

-Doug in Seattle

douglasl

Reputable
May 25, 2015

You mean boot the system with only a single stick in slot 3 and run the memory test?

My motherboard manual has a map of where to install DIMMs if you have 1, 2, 4, and so forth. I've never known whether the world would come to an end if I disobeyed the map or not. :)

douglasl

Reputable
May 25, 2015
I'm running memtest86 some more now so I can't check the BIOS settings.

Would incorrect command rate or timing settings really affect only such a small slice of the memory address space? All the errors are consistently in that narrow range.

Another strange circumstance is that the new system ran flawlessly for over a month, then suddenly began crashing every 15 minutes.

Thanks for your input!