Question Defective Monitor?

Jan 11, 2020
Hi guys,

I have a pretty old Samsung monitor which worked still perfectly fine when I used it. It was stored in a cupboard for a few months now because nobody used it. Now I wanted to use it for a little bit of gaming (because it has a reaction time of 2ms, which is better then my other Full HD monitor) - anyways, when I connect the monitor to my PC, there seems to be a working signal but the screen is only showing up for a fraction of a second, then it turns completely black. After 1-2 seconds, it displays again the PC's signal for just a few milliseconds, then it turns black again .. this seems to be going on and on and on ...

I just wanted to know if this monitor is broken (can it even be defect of just lying around?) or if I'm just missing something here.

The monitor is a Samsung Syncmaster 206BW. It has only DVI and VGA as video inputs. What I've tried so far:

• use a HDMI -> DVI cable
  • use a DVI -> DVI cable
  • use a different power cord
  • connect the monitor to three different PCs (1 Windows PC, 2 different MacBooks)

Nothing worked so far. But when the image is showing up for just a few milliseconds, the image still looks fine. No dead areas, nothing broken. The monitor ist just turning off and on again, repeatedly.

Thanks for your help!

Jan 11, 2020
Thank's for your reply! It has an "Auto" button, but I can only press that if there is a "working" signal. Otherwise my monitor is ignoring this button.

Even if there is no PC connected, it has the same behavior. So you think it is broken?