Question Defective processor slot ?

Apr 30, 2021
Hi,
I've just received a new Asus prime z490-p motherboard, Intel Core i5-10400F BOX processor and 2 x HyperX Fury Black DDR4 DIMM 3000MHz RAM
After assembling the kit I discovered that onboard video does not work, there were 1 long and three short beeps and no video on the monitor.
I added a video card and got the video output.
More than that, insertion of any combination of RAM into slots 3&4 resulted in no beep and no video.
Using one or both RAM modules in slots 1&2 works OK
After some tests I removed the processor and instantly discovered a couple of bent contacts on the mobo. One of them seems to be literally torn off.
During the initial assembly I took off a protective cover first and then put in the processor. Now I see that I should have done it in reverse order. But I didn't touch the contacts, just put the processor flat over the slot and it just fit in.
I wonder what has gone wrong. Could it be a defective motherboard?
mobo.png

Apr 30, 2021
Thank you, I will try to realign. The pins seem to affect only the memory slots although I didn't get past BIOS yet. You are right about the video, at least that's not the issue with the board.

Apr 30, 2021
I didn't even try to get past the BIOS yet. After the RAM ussue I disassembled the kit and found defective pins. If the fix would fail probably the system could run with just the first two slots but it's a pity anyway.

Apr 30, 2021
Finally I took the USB microscope and the smallest needle and tried to fix the pins according to youtube tutorials. However, the tutorials covered only the older sockets. The contacts on my socket are so tiny that the best I could do even with a microscope was not to ruin them completely. So nothing came of it and now the system still runs without dual memory support like it did in the beginning.

Bazzy 505

Respectable
Jul 17, 2021
Hi,
I've just received a new Asus prime z490-p motherboard, Intel Core i5-10400F BOX processor and 2 x HyperX Fury Black DDR4 DIMM 3000MHz RAM
After assembling the kit I discovered that onboard video does not work, there were 1 long and three short beeps and no video on the monitor.
I added a video card and got the video output.
More than that, insertion of any combination of RAM into slots 3&4 resulted in no beep and no video.
Using one or both RAM modules in slots 1&2 works OK
After some tests I removed the processor and instantly discovered a couple of bent contacts on the mobo. One of them seems to be literally torn off.
During the initial assembly I took off a protective cover first and then put in the processor. Now I see that I should have done it in reverse order. But I didn't touch the contacts, just put the processor flat over the slot and it just fit in.
I wonder what has gone wrong. Could it be a defective motherboard?
mobo.png

Pins usally bend this way when you drop down cpu in socket and try to close the locking mechanism with the plastic lid removed. Quite common mistake among first time builders.
The lid must be on when locking mechanism is released, and it will slip off on its own once cpu is locked in.

If it wasn't you, chances are somebody else did, realized they screwed up and returned the board, and shop didn't bother to check. If the pins are only bent, you can straighten them up with a needle, if any of the pins are broken, there's little you can do. You may want to try to return it, but this is not a manufacturing defect, rather result of incorrect installation attempt. It's very unlikely you'll get RMA ticket for this