Question Defective PSU? - Crackling noise and mobo lights flash

Jimmy Mcbean

Reputable
Jan 1, 2016
I've just finished my build and am a bit concerned with the behavior of my PSU. I've got the corsair rm750x.
When flipping the PSU switch from off to on (not powering on the PC, just the PSU) I hear some electrical crackling. It's very quiet and brief, but concerning none the less. The motherboard lights also flash briefly when I flip the PSU switch. Sometimes all the lights, sometimes only a couple. The mobo is RGB and the color of the flashing lights is different each time.

The PC will power on and appears to be fully functional. I have not run anything intensive or tried any kind of tests because I'm hesitant to use it in this potentially unstable state.

I've tried swapping out the main power cable and using a different outlet but there were no changes. I'm just wondering if any of this sounds normal or if I should look into replacing the unit. Thanks.

Last edited:
"When flipping the PSU switch from off to on (not powering on the PC, just the PSU) I hear some electrical crackling. "

It may just be the arcing of the power switch and it may be normal. I have two RM series and I'll try it when I get home.

For how long does this crackling last?