anonymous890

Reputable
Jan 15, 2018
All of a sudden my PC started to shut down (instantly turn off) all of a sudden while playing Black Desert. I have observed that when Im doing simple task, it won't turn off but when I do heavy task like playing black desert, it will turn off in minutes so I have done some troubleshooting.

1. Updated windows (version20h2, newest)
  2. Updated drivers
  3. Removed my avr and tried the wall socket

None of it worked and I concluded that it was the PSU but then I removed the psu sleeved extension cables. Now it is okay. Is it possible that it was the sleeved cables? and is it also possible that it damaged other parts? Can someone help me determine if my psu is okay or also faulty.

Psu sleeved extension cables: TECWARE FLEX
PSU: CORSAIR RM650X

Mobo rog strix x570-f
Gtx 1070
R5 2600 cpu
2x8 trident z 2300mhz ram
9 fans (6 chassis, 3 radiator)

Can someone also recommend me a good ups? Cause ups better than avr right?

Solution
Is it possible that it was the sleeved cables?
It is, extensions increase resistance which reduces voltages and increase temperature of cables and joints, which may increase resistance even further. The only damage there may be is the damage to the cables, connectors and receptacles on the PSU and GPU ends for them, i.e charring of contacts, melting of plastic etc. Damage to the GPU VRM is also possible if you've ran it like that long enough under high enough load but if it wasn't mining then you're probably fine, just don't use extensions anymore.
The RMX unit is quality, so it would probably be safe to assume it wasnt the issue here.
Also never heard of that brand of extensions.

As for damage, only time will tell if nothing is visibly burnt or melted, but if its working fine chances are nothing is broken.

Juular

Respectable
BANNED
Mar 14, 2020
Is it possible that it was the sleeved cables?
It is, extensions increase resistance which reduces voltages and increase temperature of cables and joints, which may increase resistance even further. The only damage there may be is the damage to the cables, connectors and receptacles on the PSU and GPU ends for them, i.e charring of contacts, melting of plastic etc. Damage to the GPU VRM is also possible if you've ran it like that long enough under high enough load but if it wasn't mining then you're probably fine, just don't use extensions anymore.

Solution
...Removed the psu sleeved extension cables. Now it is okay. Is it possible that it was the sleeved cables?

It is, extensions increase resistance which reduces voltages and increase temperature of cables and joints, which may increase resistance even further.

Thanks for answering Juular. I just get so frustrated that every day it seems like there are a bunch of people here, other forums, Reddit, etc. that have no idea how Ohm's law works. It's killing me.

Reactions: Juular

anonymous890

Reputable
Jan 15, 2018

Hello, so far it has been good. no more shutdowns or anything, can run in a day. It has been the 5th day. Is it safe to say that it has not damaged anything?
Also I'm using the wall socket right now. I can't rely on this almost 5+ years old AVR anymore. Can you recommend me a good UPS? cause UPS better than AVR right? I live in the Philippines btw.

anonymous890

Reputable
Jan 15, 2018
Shouldn't have.

Nope.

Alright thank you. I really wanted a white-looking theme so it's sad that I can't use extensions anymore since I can't risk it again. Guess I'm sticking with this original black cables. If I have some sort of cable made for this, is it good? since it's modular, there are people who actually have their cables made.