Defective sata port or software error

karot777

Prominent
Oct 19, 2017
Okay, hopefully a simple question, I have just become uncertain about something.

I have a desktop pc i use as a media server, but it seems that i can only use 5 of the sata ports, and i read somewhere that if you use your m2 sata port, then you cant use one of the sata ports, is this true? And if i want to use my sata express port for a normal hdd (which is possible by my understanding) do i need some kind of adapter? Because i cant get that to work either.

This is my motherboard:
GIGABYTE GA-B250-HD3P

I have 1 m2 sata for windows and 5 hdd (3,5" & 2,5")
And 1 blue ray drive
And a 750 W PSU

It seems thats its only 1 port that wont see a drive, if i switch the cables, all the drives seems to work fine, expect the one in the sata port i suspect being defective, and the one in the sata express port?

Im im just an idiot? Or is something wrong?

Sorry for any grammatical errors or you know spelling mistakes.

Solution
The SATA Express connector is not compatible with regular SATA devices..

When the M.2 connector is used with an SATA SSD the following items are not available:

SATA3 5
PCIEX4_2

This information is available by reading the motherboard specifications and section 1-7 of the motherboard manual.
The SATA Express connector is not compatible with regular SATA devices..

When the M.2 connector is used with an SATA SSD the following items are not available:

SATA3 5
PCIEX4_2

This information is available by reading the motherboard specifications and section 1-7 of the motherboard manual.

Solution

karot777

Prominent
Oct 19, 2017

Thx for clearing that up for me Calvin

In danger of sounding like a frustation newbie, can I ask you why the SATA3 5 port can't be used when the M.2 is used?
i'm guessing it's som kind of driver issue in the BIOS, but my guessing haven't been very good so far...

TRENDING THREADS