Define R6 Temps/fan set up

VladDracule

Honorable
Feb 20, 2016
Hello All,

Ive noticed my GPU (1080 Founders) seems really warm, right now playing wow ~97% load im seeing 84-85 degrees on my gpu.

Im wondering if i should change my fan layout/directions, or even just get new fans.

First also, these fans that came in the case have no indication of what direction the air flows. I have the rear fan facing with the label facing out of the case, i think that means its exhaust, but like i said the fans dont have any indication on them.

If thats the case, i have 2 front fans as intakes, AIO X52 fans mounted as intake (the radiator is mounted to the case, with the fans below it, PSU fan is facing down so i guess also intake. Do i have too many intake fans? What should i change to exhaust?

Also, are there some good RGB fans i can buy that are compatible with my asus aura motherboard? I havent dealt with RGB fans at all, but its a z370-e, which i think likely needs a splitter to be able to use more RGB fans, what would be the best in terms of airflow that can be controlled by aura?

Solution
Here is Toms Hardware's take on the matter concerning your 1080 Founders edition.

In our standard setup with an ambient temperature of 22 °C, we measured 68 to 69 °C. In another room at 20 °C, and using a less demanding Full HD workload, we finally replicated Nvidia's 65 °C demo. The noise that's created isn't bad when you're in a large hall full of journalists and EDM blaring over the speakers. But it's much more apparent in an office.

And unfortunately, real-world temperatures after three minutes of warm-up look a lot different than what we saw during Nvidia's press day. It doesn't take long for the card to hit its temperature target and hover around 83 to 84 degrees Celsius. That number rises to 85 degrees during the stress test...
Founders Editions are usually running really warm due to their design.
Their are less efficient than the aftermarket solutions from brands like ASUS,MSI etc.
Other than that, 85 Degree is still fairly cool for a founders edition.

If Kraken X52 is mounted in top position and fans are oriented as intake, then reorient them as exhaust.
open-grille.png

suteck

Distinguished
Here is Toms Hardware's take on the matter concerning your 1080 Founders edition.

In our standard setup with an ambient temperature of 22 °C, we measured 68 to 69 °C. In another room at 20 °C, and using a less demanding Full HD workload, we finally replicated Nvidia's 65 °C demo. The noise that's created isn't bad when you're in a large hall full of journalists and EDM blaring over the speakers. But it's much more apparent in an office.

And unfortunately, real-world temperatures after three minutes of warm-up look a lot different than what we saw during Nvidia's press day. It doesn't take long for the card to hit its temperature target and hover around 83 to 84 degrees Celsius. That number rises to 85 degrees during the stress test.

The 1080 hits its temperature target by dropping the GPU's clock rate. During a gaming loop, it falls all the way down to its base frequency, leaving nothing left of GPU Boost. This gets even worse during our stress test, where the core clock dips below the 1607MHz that is supposed to be the GeForce GTX 1080’s floor.

Nvidia's direct heat exhaust cooler does do its job, but the GeForce GTX 1080 Founders Edition does face clear and restrictive boundaries that make overclocking completely pointless for sustained or challenging loads. Admittedly, the load’s a lot lower if you dial back to 1920x1080. But who buys a $700 graphics card for Full HD?
FULL ARTICLE

So it's not your case or your fan set up. If you can stand the noise you can run the fans at full speed and that will help some. But cookiemania66 is correct. That is the normal temperatures for that card. Too bad they didn't make a compatible hybrid cooler for the 1080 like they did for the 1080ti. Next step for full performance and cooler temps with less noise??? WATERCOOLING.

As for the RGB fans? Start a new thread just for that and you'll probably get all kinds and helpful and useless information lol.
Or - CHECK HERE for some ideas!

Solution