everytime i run defrag on my p3 the system crashes after around 40%
and after a reset windows tries to load safe mode but spool 32 caues
an illegal operation and it wont start.....a format and fresh
reinstall of win98 brings it back and it works fine until the next
time i run defrag....anyone got any tips???
thanks
relloman

rello wrote:

> everytime i run defrag on my p3 the system crashes after around 40%
> and after a reset windows tries to load safe mode but spool 32 caues
> an illegal operation and it wont start.....a format and fresh
> reinstall of win98 brings it back and it works fine until the next
> time i run defrag....anyone got any tips???
> thanks
> relloman

Sounds suspiciously like bad sectors on the hard drive. Do a full surface
scan and see if it turns up any.

I agree with two other replies to your querie. I would do a complete
diagnostics on the hard drive.

Spool32.exe is a 32-bit Windows 95 and Windows 98 component that
manages the spooling of print jobs. I'm not sure if the " spool32"
causing an illegal operation has any bearing on your real problem.
(especially given the fact that you are getting that after a format
and fresh install of the operating system)

If the problem is NOT the hard drive I suggest you turn off all TSR's
or even put off installing any anti-virus programs until you get your
system stable. Are you running two anti-virus programs as the same
time by any chance? I've known people who have and they ran into
similar problems that you are describing.

Post back and let us know of your progress. Good Luck!

relloman@beasty.com (rello) wrote in message news:<41189042.110709@news-server>...
> everytime i run defrag on my p3 the system crashes after around 40%
> and after a reset windows tries to load safe mode but spool 32 caues
> an illegal operation and it wont start.....a format and fresh
> reinstall of win98 brings it back and it works fine until the next
> time i run defrag....anyone got any tips???
> thanks
> relloman

Do it in safemode or find an app on www.download.com called "end it all."
That app kills all processes and lets apps like defrag run.

"rello" <relloman@beasty.com> wrote in message
> everytime i run defrag on my p3 the system crashes after around 40%
> and after a reset windows tries to load safe mode but spool 32 caues
> an illegal operation and it wont start.....a format and fresh
> reinstall of win98 brings it back and it works fine until the next
> time i run defrag....anyone got any tips???
> thanks
> relloman

TRENDING THREADS