Defragmenting Hard Drive

frank

I have 1300 workstations in my environment, windows 2000
and windows xp I'm wondering if there is anyway for me to
defrag the hard drives of these workstations either
remotely or by setting a scheduled task. Even if there is
a command line interface or a vbscript that I can execute
that would be great, please advice. thank you.

Yes.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;555098

The process is about the same for Windows 2000 as well.

For the CLI, it is defrag.exe.

defrag.exe [Volume] -a -f -v
a: analyze only
f: force defrag (might be a good idea if you have 1300 of these scheduled)
v: verbose
Example: defrag.exe c: -f

--
Mark St. John

While the CLI will work for Windows XP, there is no CLI for defrag for
Windows 2000.

- Greg/Raxco Software
Microsoft MVP - Windows File System

Disclaimer: I work for Raxco Software, the maker of PerfectDisk - a
commercial defrag utility, as a systems engineer in the support department.

Want to email me? Delete ntloader.

"Mark [MSFT]" <mstjohn@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Yes.
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;555098
>
> The process is about the same for Windows 2000 as well.
>
> For the CLI, it is defrag.exe.
>
> defrag.exe [Volume] -a -f -v
> a: analyze only
> f: force defrag (might be a good idea if you have 1300 of these scheduled)
> v: verbose
> Example: defrag.exe c: -f
>
> --
> Mark St. John
rights.

Frank,

Using the defrag command line interface in Windows XP, it is possible to
write a script that you can schedule using Task Scheduler. However, pushing
this script out to 1300 systems and remotely telling Task Scheduler to run
on those systems may be a bit of a chore :)

For your Windows 2000 systems, there is no defrag command line interface.
You could write a VBScript that opens the defrag GUI, sends the appropriate
key strokes to simulate a user defragmenting a drive, wait for completion
and then close the GUI and then schedule that script using Task Scheduler.
Again, it may be a bit of a chore to develop and deploy remotely.

"Frank" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have 1300 workstations in my environment, windows 2000
> and windows xp I'm wondering if there is anyway for me to
> defrag the hard drives of these workstations either
> remotely or by setting a scheduled task. Even if there is
> a command line interface or a vbscript that I can execute
> that would be great, please advice. thank you.

frank

Greg,
Thanks for the response. I didn't think you could
command line defrag. As far as scripting the gui part, is
that something you know for a fact can be done? Or are
you just guessing? If it is something I can do, do you
know where I can find the parameters to put into the
script?

Frank

Frank,

It definitely can be done. If you do a Google Search in these newsgroups,
you should be able to find some actual code.