[SOLVED] DEGRADING FPS in warzone 2060 SUPER + Ryzen 7 3700x

Feb 1, 2021
when i first bought my pc in august 2020 it ran warzone at 130-145 ish fps lowest settings @ 1080p . ive noticed it slowly dropping lower and lower with each update until recently it currently only runs between 80-100 fps on the same settings. I have tried ddu uninstalling and installing a nvidia driver optimized for warzone and cold war according to nvidia's patch notes.
ive been back and forth with nvidia tech support and they keep escalating my tech support ticket with no results.
i swapped my gpu into another pc and it ran exactly the same FPS range with the same driver and everything.
also noticed upon switching gpus back into my pc that my fps is 80-110 no matter what quality graphic setting i have now (highest or lowest) the fps doesnt change.
Here is my userbenchmark link.
https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/38674884

i know my ram is at 2133. i was getting the 130-145 fps with my ram at that speed. i want to fix this issue before i overclock my ram. (currently have new ram coming in the mail thats amd optimized )

Solution
Lets do this from the start.

Your Ryzen is great out of the box and does not NEED to be Overclocked..... BUT you can if you want to. But for most users it is a lot of hassle for not that much reward.

Your RAM is running slow as is running the default 2133hrz speed and you need to change this in BIOs by enableing DCOP. this will get your RAM running at the speed it should do. I have Corsair RAM in 2 of my systems and never had any issues, you do not NEED a change of RAM. There is only a marketing BS called "Ryzen Optimised" if RAM will run or not has more to do with your Motherboard than the CPU.

As it it your first build I would remind you that also having the newest Chipset drivers for your AM4 socket is important.

Deep breath...

Ash95

Great
Dec 25, 2020
Christ your system is performing horrifically. First of all, i’d go into your windows update and search for the latest one and download it. If that fails, clean install windows and reload all your drivers.

fps not changing, when moving up resolution is indicating cpu bound and based on your benchmark... your 3700 is probably not performing like a 3700.

and yes, for a 2060s that is terrible fps. My 2060 mobile gets over 100fps on warzone with ease.

Feb 1, 2021
Hey thanks for replying. This is my first pc build . I haven’t done anything like overclocking to the cpu I read that the 3700x performs well out of the box so I left it alone .

Now can you clarify what you mean by clean installing Windows? I’m a new guy I apologize.

I currently have the nvidia driver reverted to a version that was optimized for warzone and Cold War. And my Windows version was from this October I believe the 20h2 or something.

And I said my fps doesn’t change when I change graphic settings quality not my screen resolution . I am running on 1080p .

Do you have any suggestions what I can do about my cpu?

Last edited:
You need to fix the RAM problem, it is likely the cause. Warzone and CW are very cpu dependent and your RAM running so slow will significantly impact cpu performance. As the game has had updates and new things added that can be the cause of the change in performance.

You don’t need to buy new RAM. Go into the bios and turn on DOCP and set the RAM to 3200mhz. It’s not really overclocking, just setting the RAM to it’s rated speed.

Also just install the latest gpu driver. No need to be running an out of date driver.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2021
You need to fix the RAM problem, it is likely the cause. Warzone and CW are very cpu dependent and your RAM running so slow will significantly impact cpu performance. As the game has had updates and new things added that can be the cause of the change in performance.

You don’t need to buy new RAM. Go into the bios and turn on DOCP and set the RAM to 3200mhz. It’s not really overclocking, just setting the RAM to it’s rated speed.

Also just install the latest gpu driver. No need to be running an out of date driver.
I haven’t touched the ram and it was running at 130-150 fps . The ram I have isn’t optimized for amd so the ones I ordered are. Plus Icue is horrible.

Feb 1, 2021
Have you not downloaded Ryzen Master? Should tell you your cpu temps on there, failing that, try Hwinfo64. It's just that I noticed on your userbenchmark result, your cpu is not boosting to it's max speed of 4.4Ghz so maybe a temp issue?
Im new to pc I have hwinfo64 a friend told me to down load it . what do i do , do i just play warzone and run it in the background?

Reactions: kurdtnz
Feb 1, 2021
Yes,it's just a really useful tool for monitoring your system,(there's alot of info on it that can be a little overwhelming,) and like you said, just run it in the background when gaming, it will display the max temp your cpu hits.
Thanks for taking time to explain it to me. I will run it while i game tommorow and report back

Reactions: kurdtnz
I haven’t touched the ram and it was running at 130-150 fps . The ram I have isn’t optimized for amd so the ones I ordered are. Plus Icue is horrible.

As I said the updates of the game could be the lost performance by putting extra work on the cpu. The RAM does not have to be optimised for Ryzen and you don’t use iCue to change the speed, you have to change the speed in the BIOS. You will need to do the same thing in the BIOS with the new RAM to make it run at its rated speed.

Even if there is another problem you don’t know how much is the problem and how much is the RAM strangling the system. Just try setting the RAM to it’s rated speed, you can always switch it off again if you choose.

Feb 1, 2021
As I said the updates of the game could be the lost performance by putting extra work on the cpu. The RAM does not have to be optimised for Ryzen and you don’t use iCue to change the speed, you have to change the speed in the BIOS. You will need to do the same thing in the BIOS with the new RAM to make it run at its rated speed.

Even if there is another problem you don’t know how much is the problem and how much is the RAM strangling the system. Just try setting the RAM to it’s rated speed, you can always switch it off again if you choose.
I saw videos on changing the RAM speed . I currently have corsair rgb ram that is why I have iCue , it was the only way to sync the corsair rgb with everything else I have that is run thru asus armoury crate.
Back to what you are saying tho, so the game updating and the nvidia driver updates can really cause a loss in performance? so the loss of performance isnt tied to something physically wrong with my graphics card? Im knew to PC so i apologize if i seem a little slow.

Another thing that confuses me is that on the activision support site they list nvidia drivers optimized for warzone and the new cold war but they are different versions. i guess with that tidbit of information, my question is should i still run the most recent graphics driver?

I saw videos on changing the RAM speed . I currently have corsair rgb ram that is why I have iCue , it was the only way to sync the corsair rgb with everything else I have that is run thru asus armoury crate.
Back to what you are saying tho, so the game updating and the nvidia driver updates can really cause a loss in performance? so the loss of performance isnt tied to something physically wrong with my graphics card? Im knew to PC so i apologize if i seem a little slow.

Another thing that confuses me is that on the activision support site they list nvidia drivers optimized for warzone and the new cold war but they are different versions. i guess with that tidbit of information, my question is should i still run the most recent graphics driver?

iCue only controls the RGB, it cannot set the RAM to its rated speed. This must be done via the BIOS and the easiest way is enabling DOCP but it doesn’t always work but should be the first way to try.

Yes game updates and drivers can have an impact on performance, both up or down. I would run the latest NVidia driver for your gpu unless you find it is causing a specific issue. The fact you rolled back to an older driver and it hasn’t helped supports just using the latest driver. If there was a benefit with an older driver then no problem.

Feb 1, 2021
iCue only controls the RGB, it cannot set the RAM to its rated speed. This must be done via the BIOS and the easiest way is enabling DOCP but it doesn’t always work but should be the first way to try.

Yes game updates and drivers can have an impact on performance, both up or down. I would run the latest NVidia driver for your gpu unless you find it is causing a specific issue. The fact you rolled back to an older driver and it hasn’t helped supports just using the latest driver. If there was a benefit with an older driver then no problem.
im aware of that the ram speed is done in bios , icue is used to sync the rgb of corsair ram with the rgb settings from the motherboard . yes i am on the latest driver now. the activision support page either has misleading information or its just confusing its saying use an older gpu driver version so i tried it and no help. i tried multiple driver versions. i read that they are making warzone more cpu taxing now ill try the ram later today.
another potential issue is in userbenchmark its saying my cpu wont boost up to 4.4 ghz. any input on that?

im aware of that the ram speed is done in bios , icue is used to sync the rgb of corsair ram with the rgb settings from the motherboard . yes i am on the latest driver now. the activision support page either has misleading information or its just confusing its saying use an older gpu driver version so i tried it and no help. i tried multiple driver versions. i read that they are making warzone more cpu taxing now ill try the ram later today.
another potential issue is in userbenchmark its saying my cpu wont boost up to 4.4 ghz. any input on that?
You wont see it go to 4.4GHz, that would only ever occur in a single thread scenario which today it is highly unlikely only 1 thread is in use. The more cores/threads being used the lower the boost. Once you have the main issue resolved we can look at switching on PBO which is an automatic overclocking feature, using PBO on my 3700x it can booth to 4.2-4.3GHz while in games, any higher becomes unstable.

Feb 1, 2021
You wont see it go to 4.4GHz, that would only ever occur in a single thread scenario which today it is highly unlikely only 1 thread is in use. The more cores/threads being used the lower the boost. Once you have the main issue resolved we can look at switching on PBO which is an automatic overclocking feature, using PBO on my 3700x it can booth to 4.2-4.3GHz while in games, any higher becomes unstable.
i thought the 3700x didnt need to be overclocked? that it was fine out of the box?

Feb 1, 2021
nvidia tech support just told me that the warzone fps issue is a bug they are watching and thats all they can do.
with that said what am i doing for the main issue again? sorry getting information overload. im going to adjust ram speed in bios is that correct?

Your Ryzen is great out of the box and does not NEED to be Overclocked..... BUT you can if you want to. But for most users it is a lot of hassle for not that much reward.

Your RAM is running slow as is running the default 2133hrz speed and you need to change this in BIOs by enableing DCOP. this will get your RAM running at the speed it should do. I have Corsair RAM in 2 of my systems and never had any issues, you do not NEED a change of RAM. There is only a marketing BS called "Ryzen Optimised" if RAM will run or not has more to do with your Motherboard than the CPU.

As it it your first build I would remind you that also having the newest Chipset drivers for your AM4 socket is important.

Deep breath, count to 10... all will be well....

Solution
Feb 1, 2021

Deep breath, count to 10... all will be well....
thanks for the reply. so firstly, i ordered new ram because i found out it is not on my mother board qvl. the ram i currently have 2x16 is rated at 3200 , the ones i have coming are on the qvl 2x16 @ 3600 and i wont be going with corsair so i can get rid of always having icue running for the sake of rgb.
the only reason i realized it wasnt on the qvl was because i had to call asus tech support because i have the asus prime b550m-a wifi motherboard and the armoury crate which is a program from asus automatically tells you when an driver is available had conflicting information on chipset drivers version. i found a more recent one on the asus motherboard specific to mine's webpage.
actually could ill link it and maybe you can tell me if i did the right thing.
so armoury crate says my chipset is up to date and lists the 6/2020 Version 2.04.09.131 as CURRENT but on the website it has one listed 10/2020 Version 2.09.28.509 as most RECENT.
i went with the most recent but i had to manually download and install that driver and the armoury crate app still doesnt even acknowledge that version exists

Feb 1, 2021
I gotta tell you, my personal experience of Armory Crate is not great. It tells me the newest Bios for my Mobo is from August last year...... no it 'aint. I would get the chipset from direct from AMD not Asus

https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am4/b550 and use the one from 19th of October 2020
wow thanks for that info im definitely doing that today. how did you find that info , when i checked on AMD it only gives me an option to download ryzen master when i search for drivers/support inside the 3700x

YES same with me, armoury crates bios update is very unclear. i updated my bios off the asus page im currently on version 1801

Reactions: Schlachtwolf
You enter the Motherboard in the search on AMD, not the CPU, Chipsets are for the Mobo not a specific CPU. You are learning a bunch of new stuff today !!! give it some time and everything will fall into place and you'll get more confident in what you are doing in and around your machine.

TRENDING THREADS