Degrading Performance, is it hardware or junkware related? [Gaming]

Slowp0w

Prominent
Apr 6, 2017
For the past year, I feel like my PC has started to perform worse and worse. Revisiting games I played 1 year ago, starts up slower, plays with lower fps, and it genuinly feels like I have to lower video options to achieve the same smoothness I previously had no problem achieving. :/

I have a 144hz monitor and I ofc. pref to have my online multiplayer games running that.

An example on this degrading performance would be when playing Overwatch; Previously I would have 150-160 FPS on low, but now, its 120-135fps - on low. the overall feel just.. doesn't feel as smooth. kinda "laggy"
Kinda same with a game like The Witcher 3, it used to run much smoother. Killing Floor 2 now takes 1-2 minutes to start up, used to be like 30 seconds. - it all feels like some subtle bit coin miner is in the background sometimes! Only games that I dont really have trouble with are Warframe and LoL. They run as they always did.

Another question/?: Having a game running at 130 FPS on a 144 hz capped screen cause any visual disturbances, that I might interpret as "laggyness"? - this is kiling me on OW, and I feel like if I could run it before on 144+ fps, why cant I now? I close all non relevant background software to allocate more free ressources, but it doesn't seem to have any effect, besides, this spec should be able and has before been able to achieve 144+ fps.. should I just reinstall windows and pray to Jeebus that this is caused by 1-2 years accumulation of torrents and junkware?? :??:

I need some advice, thank you in advance :)

Spec:
GPU: Nvidia 1070 8GB
CPU: i5 6400 @2.7Ghz - clocks 3.1Ghz
SSD for OS, drivers etc.
HDD for Junk files, games, pictures etc.
RAM: 16GB

What has changed?
Can you use system restore to reset back to a time when all was well?

Run malwarebytes free edition to see if you have accumulated malware.

Windows 10 is rife with instrumentation, try to turn off as much as you can.
Look at your installed programs and research any strange ones.
Check started tasks for those you do not need.

GTX1070 can run adaptive vsync.
That can better handle gpu/monitor frequency mismatches.

TRENDING THREADS