Dehumidifier Smell - Anyone have this????

Just curious. Had a dehumidifier in the basement for years. At least 4
- 5 years. Started getting this smell recently this summer on hot and
humid days. I have a sump pit nearby but the smell doesn't seem to
originate from there. I tried cleaning the dehumidifier coils by
spraying a bleach/water mixture. Nice clean air for a few days and then
it came back. Bleach/clean again and it's gone. But comes back again.
Anyone ever have this problem? Could it be the dehumidifier that's gone
bad?????

John

Aeneas wrote:
> On 6 Jul 2005 10:44:49 -0700, grus_jc@yahoo.com wrote:
>

> >Just curious. Had a dehumidifier in the basement for years. At least 4
> >- 5 years. Started getting this smell recently this summer on hot and
> >humid days. I have a sump pit nearby but the smell doesn't seem to
> >originate from there. I tried cleaning the dehumidifier coils by
> >spraying a bleach/water mixture. Nice clean air for a few days and then
> >it came back. Bleach/clean again and it's gone. But comes back again.
> >Anyone ever have this problem? Could it be the dehumidifier that's gone
> >bad?????
> >
> >John
>
> Car airco systems need to be cleaned and sometimes get a bad smell
> when a kind of mold starts to grow into them - so maybe that's the
> same thing going on?
> A spray can to clean you car airco costs $10 or so, so it's always
> worth a try, just spray it into the dehumidifier while it's running..
>
> Aeneas.

What is Car Airco Systems? Is this a name brand? What is it that I have
to ask for and where do I get it?

John

>Car airco systems need to be cleaned and sometimes
>get a bad smell when a kind of mold starts to grow >into them -

Unloading a whole can of lysol while it is running will help

Kirb

>Car Airco Systems

automotive air conditioning system. Aeneas is not from these parts.

You want something to kill the mold and mildew without allowing it to
grow back. The bleach is a good idea, but I have seen others use the
lysol method with good results.

Load up a whole can of it in the air path while it is running.

Kirb

>Do you have cats?? ;-)

Never!

Who the hell thought that "spraying" was a good replacement for
"pissing all over the place"?

Kirb

Did you check your overflow drains in your basement? Check them to see
if water is gone, if the water is gone than that is where your smell is
coming from. those overflow drains should always have water in
them...Just another thought

brivy

You need to be careful using the bleach as it is corrosive to most
metal parts.

KS

On 6 Jul 2005 13:17:42 -0700, brivy37@yahoo.com wrote:

>Did you check your overflow drains in your basement? Check them to see
>if water is gone, if the water is gone than that is where your smell is
>coming from. those overflow drains should always have water in
>them...Just another thought
>
>brivy

On 6 Jul 2005 10:44:49 -0700, grus_jc@yahoo.com wrote:

>Just curious. Had a dehumidifier in the basement for years. At least 4
>- 5 years. Started getting this smell recently this summer on hot and
>humid days. I have a sump pit nearby but the smell doesn't seem to
>originate from there. I tried cleaning the dehumidifier coils by
>spraying a bleach/water mixture. Nice clean air for a few days and then
>it came back. Bleach/clean again and it's gone. But comes back again.
>Anyone ever have this problem? Could it be the dehumidifier that's gone
>bad?????
>
>John

Car airco systems need to be cleaned and sometimes get a bad smell
when a kind of mold starts to grow into them - so maybe that's the
same thing going on?
A spray can to clean you car airco costs $10 or so, so it's always
worth a try, just spray it into the dehumidifier while it's running..

Aeneas.

You've got some tough mold that keeps coming back. Apparently the bleach
isn't killing all the spores and it comes back.

Mark Hooks