deinterlace a dvd with QTGMC

potomac

Reputable
Apr 14, 2015
Hello, i want to deinterlace a dvd with QTGMC for the best quality but this time the final quality is worse than the original dvd. megui detect a m-in-5 decimation required and tritical decimate. should I see the dvd as it is?

Solution
There are probably 1000 different ways to accomplish your goal and it really depends on your specific video source. From here I suggest you ask the experts in the doom9 forum because you are about to dive down the rabbit hole that is avisynth. Be prepared to provide a small clip of your source that can the sync issue.

You can use 'dgsplit' to make a sample
http://neuron2.net/dgsplit/

These days I use Linux so I don't know the intricacies of mpc, madvr, or avisynth.

I just use ffmpeg, libx264 and MPV.

potomac

Reputable
Apr 14, 2015
hello the dvds that i converted and deinterlaced previously don't have this problem or a noticeable decay of quality. here a mediainfo report:
Video
ID : 224 (0xE0)
Format : MPEG Video
Format version : Version 2
Format profile : Main@Main
Format settings, BVOP : Yes
Format settings, Matrix : Custom
Format settings, GOP : M=3, N=15
Duration : 17mn 35s
Bit rate mode : Variable
Bit rate : 6 058 Kbps
Width : 720 pixels
Height : 480 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate : 29.970 fps
Standard : NTSC
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Progressive -> i think i don't need to deinterlace. but why megui say trictical decimation required? is related to telecining?
Compression mode : Lossy
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.585
Stream size : 762 MiB (74%)
Writing library : TMPGEnc 2.524.63.181
Color primaries : BT.601 NTSC
Transfer characteristics : BT.601
Matrix coefficients : BT.601

potomac

Reputable
Apr 14, 2015
ok thank you for the guide, i'm european and not native english, so i have just a pair of ntsc movies, and i'll read these interesting guides a bit slowly ^_^

i watched some parts frame by frame comparing it with a surely interlaced film and i think this dvd is progressive because it doesn't have the lines in this frame but is "solid" http://www.doom9.org/images/Interlace.jpg

for now you can advise if it's convenient don't make a conversion if i just want to see the movie with the best quality? i use mpc-hc with madvr.

potomac

Reputable
Apr 14, 2015
i confirm that the dvd is telecines and not interlaced, the 5th frame is repeated. i reproduced the avs script that megui has made and it fluidly delete the useless frame but the audio isn't synchronized. there's a way to synchronize the audio in the avs script for a conversion in real time during the reproduction?

edit

with ctrl + alt + shit + t madvr detelecine the video (film mode), but the colors become dull, and why it doesn't active it automatically?

There are probably 1000 different ways to accomplish your goal and it really depends on your specific video source. From here I suggest you ask the experts in the doom9 forum because you are about to dive down the rabbit hole that is avisynth. Be prepared to provide a small clip of your source that can the sync issue.

You can use 'dgsplit' to make a sample
http://neuron2.net/dgsplit/

These days I use Linux so I don't know the intricacies of mpc, madvr, or avisynth.

I just use ffmpeg, libx264 and MPV.

Solution

potomac

Reputable
Apr 14, 2015
on linux i'm still using mplayer or mplayer2, it's better to pass to mpv? :)
can you post a guide for the optimal settings, if needed?
thank you again for the support

edit

with a manual delay of ~300 ms it seems synchronized without encoding anything!