[SOLVED] DEL XPS 8930 Froze and won't reboot

Nov 23, 2019
Hi all - I have a 13 month old Dell XPS 8930 that froze a few days ago and won't reboot and is just 1 month out of warranty. Let me preface this with I am kicking myself for buying a Dell and not building my own like I did for my prior two computers (I'm writing this from my 5 year old self built machine that still runs OK and has never broken down).

Current symptom is: I push the power button and it lights up for 1 second then goes out and no boot sequence seems to start at all.

So far I have:
  • Disconnected all peripherals including all USB devices and monitors
  • Run the Built In Self test on the PSU - LED light indicates it is OK
  • Pulled power connectors from everything I can find
  • Pulled and reconnected main MB power and CPU power
  • Disconnected the secondary hard drive and optical drive SATA cables (primary hard drive is an M2 SSD which I have not touched so far)
  • Removed the graphics card (that was an ordeal)
  • Pulled the CMOS battery, checked voltage OK and refit
  • Pulled front panel connector from MB that goes to power switch and reinstalled. Also tried at a friends suggestion to hit the power switch then yank that connector from the MB as soon the the power light goes on to try to assess if a faulty momentary power switch but that did not yield anything
Things I have not tried are tried a PSU swap (because the self test suggests its OK), pulled the SSD (because that scares me a little), pulled any RAM or touched the CPU.

I have not made any hardware mods to the machine since new.

I am stumped. Any advice or help on where to go next would be great.

Thanks,
Corey

Solution
Make the system as simple as you can. Remove the GPU, all other peripherals, remove RAM and only place in one stick. I probably would not go so far as to take out the CPU at this point. See if you can get it to power up. In spite of the self test on your PSU I would likely follow up testing with another of those as well.
It sounds like you are already on the right track with troubleshooting. If I were to venture a guess I would say the PSU or Mobo have an issue. Unfortunately you can't narrow it down any further without it at least booting.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Make the system as simple as you can. Remove the GPU, all other peripherals, remove RAM and only place in one stick. I probably would not go so far as to take out the CPU at this point. See if you can get it to power up. In spite of the self test on your PSU I would likely follow up testing with another of those as well.
It sounds like you are already on the right track with troubleshooting. If I were to venture a guess I would say the PSU or Mobo have an issue. Unfortunately you can't narrow it down any further without it at least booting.

Solution