[SOLVED] Delay when starting PC after resetting PSU?

Kremo

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2015
Basically, whenever I turn my PSU off, then turn it back on, I have a 5 second delay until the computer actually springs to life (Fans spin, LED comes on, system boots). After that, the system will boot normally until the PSU is reset again.
This ONLY happens when the PSU has been turned off and then back on again though.

Some extra sauce:
The modular cables had dots of sharpie near the connectors, which raised suspicion but I didn't really think twice about it until I ran into this issue. I've had the PSU for around a week now, and the system operates fine apart from this one weird thing. I will leave an image of the sharpie below for anybody interested. (Purchased the PSU brand new from AWD-IT 2 weeks ago.)
Here's one of the cables:

CPU: I5 12400
Mobo: ASUS TUF B660 Wifi Plus
PSU: RM850x

Any help is obviously appreciated.

Last edited:
Solution
Yes I would RMA anything and everything if I found something not looking brand new out of the box. I've been blamed for things that I didn't do but thankfully I've had video and photo documentation in order to shut them up for good.

To give you some semblance to the madness, no Corsair never do what you're assuming they do for perhaps 1 out of 1000 units. They have their own R*D/Testing/QC departments. As such all parts will come in pristine order. What you have are clearly products that were used and returned or perhaps sent back in for some weird glitch whereby they didn't know the cause of the issue and just sold it off to an unsuspecting customer. It's happened to the people I know in my country, Bangladesh, until I was brought in...

Lutfij

Titan
Looks like they tried to mark the pins on the connector but the question is why...? Other PSU's lack any such marker, marks. If your system is used, might want to see if you can return it. If it's brand new and a prebuilt, might want to contact your builder. If the system is built by you using off the shelf parts, might want to bring your seller and Corsair into the matter over an email, holding your documentation against them(as proof) since the sharpie mark seems suspicious.

I sleeve my own cables and I've seen some refurbished units with those sharpie marks, to identify pins that needed replacing or perhaps rewiring.

BIOS version for your motherboard at this moment of time? What GPU are you working with?

Kremo

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2015
Looks like they tried to mark the pins on the connector but the question is why...? Other PSU's lack any such marker, marks. If your system is used, might want to see if you can return it. If it's brand new and a prebuilt, might want to contact your builder. If the system is built by you using off the shelf parts, might want to bring your seller and Corsair into the matter over an email, holding your documentation against them(as proof) since the sharpie mark seems suspicious.

I sleeve my own cables and I've seen some refurbished units with those sharpie marks, to identify pins that needed replacing or perhaps rewiring.

BIOS version for your motherboard at this moment of time? What GPU are you working with?

No GPU as of yet, bios version is American Megatrends Inc. 0418, 12/10/2021 I think? Sorry if that's not the correct thing.
This actually isn't the only cable with sharpie marker inked onto it, weirdly the CPU had a golden marker pen print on it. I did clean it off but documented it beforehand just incase the PSU didn't work. Something else i've just now noticed, if you zoom in on the image I sent, you can actually see scratches all over the plastic. This is clearly a used PSU, but I thought maybe this is something Corsair might do once in a while to check their products.

You wanna know the best part about this? I RMA'd a motherboard with them a couple of weeks ago due to the way it came. The anti static bag was torn to shreds and there was yellow residue on the back of the board. They're going to think I'm crazy when I send this back to them for having ink all over it, this build has been a nightmare.

Would you personally RMA for the reasons listed above? Just so I know i'm not being dramatic.

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Yes I would RMA anything and everything if I found something not looking brand new out of the box. I've been blamed for things that I didn't do but thankfully I've had video and photo documentation in order to shut them up for good.

To give you some semblance to the madness, no Corsair never do what you're assuming they do for perhaps 1 out of 1000 units. They have their own R*D/Testing/QC departments. As such all parts will come in pristine order. What you have are clearly products that were used and returned or perhaps sent back in for some weird glitch whereby they didn't know the cause of the issue and just sold it off to an unsuspecting customer. It's happened to the people I know in my country, Bangladesh, until I was brought in to "fight" on the customer's behalf.

FYI, your motherboard has BIOS versions pending update;
Please don't jump to the latest version, rather work your way to the latest, gradually.

Solution