Delayed USB connections

G

I've just put together a new pc using i7 4770k and asus z87-A and 16gb memory. It's booting up into windows 8.1 really quickly, but all my usb devices including mouse and keyboard don't power on until about 30 seconds has passed after boot up. Anybody know why this is?

I've got windows 8.1, latest updates installed.
Got latest chipset drivers etc.

It's quite strange I can use the keyboard and mouse to get into and operate the uefi, but as soon as os starts loading they go dead. Even when I set usb to "full initialization" in the bios under the boot menu.

Cheers :)

Solution

That's weird that it is after the desktop. I'm wondering if it's maybe the channel that it's on? Or perhaps for some reason it's trying to load the drivers after loading other software, might be worth while to take a look at the programs that load on startup

Carobthomp

Honorable
Nov 12, 2013
I've seen a few BIOS's that cause this to happen, mostly with Windows XP, where it's enabled during BIOS, but when loading Windows it is disabled until it prompts you to log in. I'm not 100% on what Windows 8 is meant to do in this case, but if they aren't active when you don't need them, is there really an issue, or is more of an annoyance?

G

It's an annoyance. I can not operate the computer until about 30 seconds after I reach the desktop. I'll have another look at what my bios options are. But I was thinking it was more a driver/operating system issue maybe.

Carobthomp

Honorable
Nov 12, 2013

That's weird that it is after the desktop. I'm wondering if it's maybe the channel that it's on? Or perhaps for s

Carobthomp

Honorable
Nov 12, 2013

That's weird that it is after the desktop. I'm wondering if it's maybe the channel that it's on? Or perhaps for some reason it's trying to load the drivers after loading other software, might be worth while to take a look at the programs that load on startup

Solution
G

Ah thats it cheers! I looked through my services list and changed all "delayed start" services to "automatic" and now it is working perfectly. Just need to figure out which specific service fixed it for me. Thanks, I think I should be good from here :)

CPU Fan

Honorable
Jan 7, 2014

I hate to bring this back from the dead, but I'm having the same problem. I went to msconfig and set startup as normal and went to services and I'm not sure which service to look for...I'm also have some really random USB driver in device manager that thinks im unplugging and connecting a mass storage device...I'm not. There is no mass storage connected to this pc via USB...

Anyone have some trouble shooting tips I can try?