Delayed Write Failed

Adwait

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2010
Hello people...

I have a WD 1Tb HDD on a SATA connection.

Recently I'm getting the 'Delayed write failed' i.e. error. At first i got $Mft message and later I started getting error message for different files present on my HDD. All those files are present on my HDD though. Sometimes my PC doesnt boot only. Othertimes when I start my PC, I get the consistency check for that HDD. :( ( Note that it is not the drive containing my windows files i.e. the boot drive )

Now coincidently or otherwise ( i dont know ) :??: , the same problem had occured for one of my previous 500Gb Samsung HDD. That HDD I sent to samsung and am waiting for their reply. ( Most probably they are going to replace it and give me a new one ). But for that HDD the consistency check returned bad sectors/segments for some. Also note that after the consistency check for the drive the HDD became inaccessible and properties showed 0 free disk space and 0 capacity. Also my PC became fairly slow. Using some software i dont remember ( might be Hiren's ) I checked the HDD and all the files were present which I luckily backup-ed but the thing is I didnt expect the same thing to happen with another of my HDD :cry: .

Also there are some things I have noticed -

1) When there is 264 Gb free disk space in the 1Tb HDD ..... I dont get the consistency check nor delayed write failed. Before
when there was 249 Gb free on HDD and I tried to install a 15 Gb game ..... amidst the installation I again started getting the delayed write failed error. ( I had got the message before too when there was 254 Gb free ). Then my windows refused to completely boot. I got nicely till the desktop but then it seemed to go so slow that nothing can be done the cursor was well moving though. In safe mode i checked the HDD and saw that almost 8.5 Gb of the game files were installed. I deleted that folder and moved about 15 Gb to another HDD. Then my PC booted successfully.

2) The current WD-HDD is on the same SATA port with same SATA cable. ( When previous HDD failed , I tried changing both but the HDD was still in accesssible ). :ouch:

3) There is this mrtstub file present in the hard drive in a random numbered folder. ( This file I think was also present on my previous HDD when it made me go through the fiasco) :eek: . Now I know this is the Malicious Software Removal Tool file but i'm concerned since it is present on a HDD which has got no windows files in it i.e. it is not my boot HDD ). I also read about it being a malware and running too many processes that the PC slows down or hangs. So thought it might be related.

I have searched the net and read about ATI drivers, UDMA , Large disk cache etc etc. But because of the things mentiond above i'm confused. I want to know your views on this...... I'm seriously and sincerely confused so please people help me......!!!!!
THANKS IN ADVANCE :)

Have you tried checking the smart values on the drive? HDTune or speedfan can do this for you. Also, have you run memtest86 at all? Unstable ram can cause file/disk corruption. Also, it wouldn't hurt to run malwarebytes on there to check for any nasty malware.