Deleating Program File Directory

I have a single drive split into C and D. Windows XP is on D along
with the Program Files directory. I am out of room on D drive and
just want to keep windows on that partition and everything else on C.
I copied the Program Files directory to C but windows will not let me
delete the original Program Files directory on D. How can I do this
without reformatting and starting everything all over again? The
drive is formatted in NTSF.

Thank You

Hi

How do you mean that you 'copied' the Program Files folder from one drive to
another? Doing that will mean that those programs won't work properly as
they will depend on references in the Registry.

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

"Gary Davis" <gdavis@commspeed.net> wrote in message
>I have a single drive split into C and D. Windows XP is on D along
> with the Program Files directory. I am out of room on D drive and
> just want to keep windows on that partition and everything else on C.
> I copied the Program Files directory to C but windows will not let me
> delete the original Program Files directory on D. How can I do this
> without reformatting and starting everything all over again? The
> drive is formatted in NTSF.
>
> Thank You

Hi Gary,

Uninstall the software, then reinstall using "custom" and direct to drive C.
This is the only safe way to move it. As Will has pointed out, the software
depends on registry pointers that are looking for the original installation
location, you can't simply move it elsewhere. As to the Program Files folder
that is housed on the installation partition, just leave it there empty, it
is considered a system folder and is not deletable.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone