[SOLVED] Delete Old OS

Landstander

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2014
I'm preparing a new build. My old PC's C: drive is a 1TB HDD with Win7 on it and all my software installations.

On my new build I was planning to use an SSD for Win10.
Can I just plug my old C: drive into that system and delete the old OS so I don't have to back up the entire drive and reformat? I know I'll have to inplace reinstall much of the software, but it would still be easier.

I'm thinking Win7 may have some protection on their files keeping me from cleaning it out completely.

Solution
If you're planning a new build with a new SSD, and moving from 7 to 10 all at the same time, doing a fresh install of 10 really is preferable. If you have to reinstall the software anyway, you might as well just do a full blown fresh setup.

Landstander

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2014
Window has a bad habit of protecting their files from 'accidental' deletion.
I know that typically goes for the active operating system, but you never know what they'll do with strange user permissions or hidden partitions or whatever.

USAFRet

Titan
I'm preparing a new build. My old PC's C: drive is a 1TB HDD with Win7 on it and all my software installations.

On my new build I was planning to use an SSD for Win10.
Can I just plug my old C: drive into that system and delete the old OS so I don't have to back up the entire drive and reformat? I know I'll have to inplace reinstall much of the software, but it would still be easier.

I'm thinking Win7 may have some protection on their files keeping me from cleaning it out completely.
Not the way you're envisioning this.
You can't move to a new platform, do a full OS install, keep your current applications, and change the OS from 7 to 10.

Too many moving parts all at the same time.

For the new hardware, a new install is always recommended, usually required. And with that, a reinstall of all your applications.

Landstander

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2014
When I went from XP to 7 it was a clean install since I went from 32 to 64 bit. That said, I did drop all my program files and such back on the drive. If they failed to run, I just did an in-place re-install of that program.
I guess in this case just about everything would need to be re-installed, but any program that keeps settings in its directory would preserve them.