Question Delete recovery partition from a cloned drive?

maconai

Reputable
Dec 25, 2015
Hey guys, I bought a new SSD and used Samsung Data Migration to clone my previous drive (C: with Windows) to the new SSD. After the migration, I noticed the previous drive (used as a source for this data migration) still has the recovery and UEFI partition with sizes of 499MB and 100MB. The new SSD (used as a target drive for the data migration) also copied those partitions and is where the Windows is installed now. Now I have two recovery partitions with 499MB each and two UEFI partitions with the 100MB each on two separate drives.

Can I remove the recovery and UEFI partition from the older drive that has no Windows on it and leave the ones on the SSD that contains Windows now (new drive)? I can't delete it using the Disk Management from Windows, but apparently I can with diskpart. I just don't know if it's safe to delete them since they're not in the main drive anymore.

maconai

Reputable
Dec 25, 2015
first, unplug the hdd and make sure it boot with just the ssd.

Yes, I already tested this to be sure, even after the restart with both drives the Drive Management confirms the SSD as the "boot drive". Even after that, I formatted the previous drive but the two unwanted partitions are still there.

TRENDING THREADS