Delete UEFI hidden partition without deleting whole disk

pandaroso

Commendable
Nov 28, 2016
I have an MSI laptop that came with:

- a) an SSD with the Win boot partition + the Win 10 OS partition, and
- b) an HDD with an empty partition + a Win10 OEM (hidden) recovery partition

I installed Ubuntu on the HDD for testing purposes, and then I deleted it. It has left behind an UEFI hidden partition (the Ubuntu boot partition) on the HDD. I want to delete such UEFI partition, but the Win Disk Management tool does not offer the option - it is grayed out. Googling around found a method that works: running "Disk Part" from the Win command prompt. The issue with that method is that it deletes whole disks, which I don't want to do, as I don't want to lose the OEM recovery partition.

Any ideas?

Thank you very much.

Solution
even in diskpart even using the force delete command it can still refuse to delete certain partitions it thinks are crucial to the pc

found that out a couple of weeks ago when had a similar issue

think in the end aoemi free partition manager was what let me remove it after trying a lot of other things

Colif

Win 11 Master
even in diskpart even using the force delete command it can still refuse to delete certain partitions it thinks are crucial to the pc

found that out a couple of weeks ago when had a similar issue

think in the end aoemi free partition manager was what let me remove it after trying a lot of other things

Solution

Colif

Win 11 Master
I would use the win 10 installer, follow the custom install through to where you choose install location, and delete the partition then, and exit out of installer. I would have removed any other drives before starting. just to avoid deleting wrong efi partition

I have never used any other method.

pandaroso

Commendable
Nov 28, 2016
No issues - just want to remove it - its sitting in the middle of a hard drive, splitting it in two, and I wont be using Ubuntu any longer. Will try the two dedicated solutions offered here. Thanks very much.